Grubs?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Felmarg
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Grubs?

Postby Felmarg » Tue May 29, 2007 1:38 pm

I keep finding a bunch of grubs under my railroad ties. Would it be okay to feed these to a bluey? I would NEVER feed one to an animal unless I was sure it was safe. I figure if humans can eat them what could go wrong? I hear they taste quite disgusting though :dead: , so maybe a bluey would not like one. I will probably not end up feeding them to anything anyway; I just wanted to know if is was okay.
1.0.0 Northern: Zaphod
Piggy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Piggy » Tue May 29, 2007 4:29 pm

Deffinately anything by the road would be too toxic to feed right away, I'm not sure about railroads. I wouldn't bother trying, they don't seem to nutritious.
Felmarg
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Felmarg » Tue May 29, 2007 4:46 pm

They are not by the railroad.We bought some used railroad ties for landscaping. They probably are not very healthy so I guess i won't feed them.
1.0.0 Northern: Zaphod
evil pixie
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby evil pixie » Tue May 29, 2007 7:20 pm

i don't ever feed creatures i've found outside, ya never know what they've been exposed to (chemical-wise) or what they maybe be harbouring (parasite-wise).
The Humane Society took Michael Vick's pit bulls, asked for public money to help them, then decided it would be best to kill them... adopt from No Kill shelters http://www.roas.petfinder.com

•Blue - Northern BTS
•Severus - Silver Tanny
•Cheyenne - Pit Bull/Lab
•Sunny - Pit Bull/Beagle
•Gryffin & Tucker - Kitties
deftones2015
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby deftones2015 » Tue May 29, 2007 9:24 pm

I read a post here or on a bearded dragon site I go to. Any way a lady fed her reptile a grub she found, and her reptile died a few hours later. Some thought it got into fertilizer or some kind of chemical. It's hard to tell what they're exposed to out there :noknow:
Brian
Leigh
Leigh of the Law
Leigh of the Law

Postby Leigh » Wed May 30, 2007 12:57 am

If you find a food source out doors, all you need to do is quarenteen it for a few days, poisoned insects dont take long to die and dont get far from the source of poison, on that note, does everyone anti-bac there garden/floor before letting there skinks out?Dont think so, the Aussies let theirs live out doors, some year round . I reckon we get just a tad paranoid about infecting our little mates, thats my two pence worth anyway.
MMMmmmmm... Something???????
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Wed May 30, 2007 12:13 pm

Railroad ties and telephone poles are treated with a chemical called "creosote." It's the black stuff that oozes from the ties when they heat up. It's used to deter bugs and rot, and is suspected of being toxic, but no official reports have been done. I don't think it'd be a good idea to feed anything living around ties. I know, old ties get gray and lose their creosote over time, but I wouldn't risk it.

Leigh has the right idea, poisoned bugs don't take long to die, keeping them for a few days is right-on if you do want to feed anything you find.

When I collect anything to feed my guys, it's usually well out of town or in an area that isn't likely to have contact with too many chemicals. I'm also a big fan of feeding moths, because all they do is drink nectar, and if they were poisoned as larvae, they'd have died well before metamorphosis.

A friend of mine that keeps water dragons grows Virginia Creeper and tomato plants that attract hornworms and sphinx moth worms; and has a seasonal but healthy supply of garden crawlies at hand.

KW
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.
Piggy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Piggy » Wed May 30, 2007 1:58 pm

Oh I read wrong. :doh: Well, still.
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Thu May 31, 2007 2:33 am

Yeah, I was going to ask you what roads had to do with bugs being toxic!

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”