New BTS

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Thu May 24, 2007 12:10 am

Lucifer_Spades wrote:No, News paper very bad. Newspaper Ink never actually dries and can potentially make pets of any species sick, either by ingestion or by inhaling the chemical vapors.

A vast majority of newsprint ink is soy-based. It used to be toxic, and in some countries other than the US, Australia or Canada it may contain benzine and other hydrocarbons and refined alcohols.

A lot of organic composters used newspaper, and if anyone would blow the whistle on toxic "no-no's," organiphiles would be the first. :)

I know Zach and the caresheet suggests against it because it makes a mess of their feet... I avoid it because it's absorbancy is awful and looks terrible. :lol:

KW
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Thu May 24, 2007 1:04 am

hmm maybe I should read the newspaper more oftan. :shock:
nah it's all bad news anyway.
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Thu May 24, 2007 3:40 am

I don't think I've read a newspaper in the last 10 years... :noknow: TV is bad enough, and I avoid that as much as possible... :hehe: I don't suggest TV as a substrate either...

KW
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.
LittleFoot
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby LittleFoot » Thu May 24, 2007 8:25 am

Not too worried about him pooping on the couch...you should see the back of it...how do you tell a 30lb sulcatta that there is no room for her to burrow under there....she shredded the base of it. :doh:
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Drew » Thu May 24, 2007 10:05 am

KyleWeiss wrote:
Lucifer_Spades wrote:No, News paper very bad. Newspaper Ink never actually dries and can potentially make pets of any species sick, either by ingestion or by inhaling the chemical vapors.

A vast majority of newsprint ink is soy-based. It used to be toxic, and in some countries other than the US, Australia or Canada it may contain benzine and other hydrocarbons and refined alcohols.

A lot of organic composters used newspaper, and if anyone would blow the whistle on toxic "no-no's," organiphiles would be the first. :)

I know Zach and the caresheet suggests against it because it makes a mess of their feet... I avoid it because it's absorbancy is awful and looks terrible. :lol:

KW

*sigh!
how i wish i had the sunstrates that you guys are using oh well..
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Thu May 24, 2007 6:46 pm

If you can get any kind of bark or wood chips (that aren't evergreen/pine) you'll be fine. :cool: Your country is pretty lush and you may have great substrates nearby, being used as mulch or even waste wood. Check garden shops, or ask pet stores if they have that kind of bedding, again, so long as it isn't pine or cedar.

KW
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Drew » Thu May 24, 2007 7:03 pm

KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda

Postby KyleWeiss » Thu May 24, 2007 7:03 pm

It's what we do here. :2thumbs:

KW
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada

Postby Zach » Fri May 25, 2007 1:43 am

KyleWeiss wrote:

KW

Exactly....if it's layed down flat and the animal walks on it, it can turn their soles jet black. Who wants that? It also does have a strong odor....take a big wif if you don't believe me; combine that with a hot tank and the pitch black feet = ridiculous for a nice pet like a BTS. Temporary shredded newspaper is fine.

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)
Lisa
Blue Mountains Beauty
Blue Mountains Beauty

Postby Lisa » Fri May 25, 2007 1:53 am

Here in Aus, newspaper would be the most common (and most often recommended) substrate for all reptiles. I don't think that even if there was more choice available to us here that that would change. Maybe Aus keepers are just lazy.

When mine are babies, I use newspaper under their substrate of astro turf and (then) shredded plain paper and (now) Dr Harry's catlitter. Just because they go to the loo so many more times than adults. It was changed daily. When they are adults the newspaper goes.

How often do people do a full grease and oil change on their tanks I wonder? I do mine weekly.
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Drew » Fri May 25, 2007 4:40 am

alas! i found a rabbit pellet like beddings that it is used a kitty littler and even suggests for reptile substrate, i think i saw some of the setup that are using it.
it costs around 7 US dollaras per 3kilo pack, is it cheap? im thinking to mix this with shredded paper and wood shavings. :D
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Fri May 25, 2007 11:59 am

~*Luce*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0.0.3 Irian Jaya

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Drew » Sun May 27, 2007 10:01 pm

yes thats the one is this safe enough?
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Sun May 27, 2007 10:20 pm

I believe its safe all the phenols are removed and its loose enough to burrow in low on dust as long as you clean regularly I'd say it's not ideal but it's ok to use since you have limited options.
~*Luce*~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0.0.3 Irian Jaya

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island

1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Drew » Sun May 27, 2007 10:29 pm

Lucifer_Spades wrote:I believe its safe all the phenols are removed and its loose enough to burrow in low on dust as long as you clean regularly I'd say it's not ideal but it's ok to use since you have limited options.

thanks! :D what are you using btw?
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Sun May 27, 2007 11:57 pm

hey drew - look at what i'm using in this pic. It's like the stuff you're talking about. It's great to use. another thing - mealworms like to breed in it too! I was cleaning out the tank just prior to taking this pic and found a heap of mealworms of all sizes. So now I'm breeding mealworms!!!

~|=|>-

"you want what!? where!?"

2.1.0 T.S. Intermedia (Kimberleys)
1.0 T.S. Intermedia (N.T.)
6.0.3 T. Nigrolutea (VIC Lowlands)
3.1.11 T. Scincoides (VIC & NSW)
deftones2015
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby deftones2015 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:01 am

Is breeding them hard? PM me if you would and let me know the basics please.
Brian
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee

Postby Drew » Mon May 28, 2007 3:32 am

Blotch wrote:hey drew - look at what i'm using in this pic. It's like the stuff you're talking about. It's great to use. another thing - mealworms like to breed in it too! I was cleaning out the tank just prior to taking this pic and found a heap of mealworms of all sizes. So now I'm breeding mealworms!!!

its more like rabbit pellets...
Blotch
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Blotch » Mon May 28, 2007 4:09 am

here you go, I found the website for the manufacturers of the stuff I use. They make the other kind of stuff too - one is marked cat litter, the other animal bedding. I may try the other stuff next time!

http://www.fibrecycle.com.au/

Have a look and have a read - tells you all about it.
Also! - it shows a pic of a bluey there too - so I guess our guys were at least thought of somewhere in it's production.

BEST THING IS IT'S AN AUSSIE MADE PRODUCT!!!!
~|=|>-

"you want what!? where!?"

2.1.0 T.S. Intermedia (Kimberleys)
1.0 T.S. Intermedia (N.T.)
6.0.3 T. Nigrolutea (VIC Lowlands)
3.1.11 T. Scincoides (VIC & NSW)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”