Page 1 of 1


Posted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:08 pm
by delicate_Skink
Ive Decided I Will be taking a trip to South Australia Very soon!!! :)
I didnt exactly know the laws on reptile buying and keeping in S.A, just what people who live there told me...I had a look at the licensing site (which was down for quite a while so i couldnt see it before) and I cant believe what you can buy in S.A that are exempt or even on a basic $28 License!!!! Check it out:

Exempt Animals:

Class A Animals:

There is no Class C list of just fill in a form and tell them which reptile/animal you want!!

The licensing system is pretty strict here in the ACT....although things like shinglebacks and Blotched are exempt....its pretty tough trying to find breeders here!! I can get a $28 license and go to any petshop basically and get what i want in S.A!!!!

So South Australia Here i Come!!!!

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:40 am
by Johan
Yes, I think you need a license for keeping protected species.
In Europe our native species are protected so you need a license to keep them.
In Australia native species are protected so why not a license?

What about crocodilians and venomous species? A license for dangerous animals.

That's just what I think. :wink:

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:23 am
by Zach
In the U.S you need some kind of permit for owning venomous animals.... ( to my knowledge ) Like Gila Monsters, etc......

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:45 am
by delicate_Skink
Yeah i think there should be a license for Venomous Reptiles....but i dont believe there should be one for non venomous long as you can prove that you know how to care for the reptile and have the required enclosure! You dont just want anyone coming into a petshop and buying them and then slowly killing them as they dont have the proper diet (as has happened with the so called "vegetarian" Bearded dragons in the US and Europe), and housing....I am the one who gets stuck with the sick reptiles which 95% have to be put to sleep as they have all sorts of bone diseases and vitamin and Mineral deficiencys.

Im going to S.A to buy myself 2 olive the mean time i will have a 10ftX11ft enclosure built for them and will have the setup ready for them when i come home....I was originally going to just drive them back to Canberra (which is kinda smuggling)...but then i saw that i can just get an import/export license for $10 and do it legally.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:21 am
by Guest
I think there should be a permit to own native wildlife, and nonnative wildlife with the capablity of thriving in natve land. I think collection and import/export should be allowed universally, but only by strict licensing.

Permits should be conditional on routine inspections to ensure proper care as well as to make certain that proper procedures are being followed in regards to breeding, selling, disposal (harsh term, i know, but its something that does need to be monitored if every other aspect is), etc.

Posted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:32 am
by danny
delicate if you get the import licence they can just send you the pythons..
may cost you for freight also but its cheaper than the petrol..
getting stuff from WA is different you have to pay $180 for export lisence
i think the licencing system is a great idea, i just makes it a little more difficult to buy a reptile, you cant just go down the shops and buy what you like..
the other advantage to the lisencing is that every lisence holder must in the first week of april, send a form to the department of sustainability and environment, detailing all your animal stock for that year, including new aquisitions, deaths and births..
i have to fill out how many turtle eggs are laid, how many hatched..
you even have to say what was done with the dead bodies, destroyed or taxidermied etc..excellent way of keeping track of things, and im sure this is how steve was able to give those stats on bts owners in NSW that he gave us a while back..

in victoria with a basic lisence you can keep all sorts of reptiles and amphibians and mammals, but for the more dangerous, venomous or those with more serious husbandry requirements, you need an advanced licence, and yes johan we can keep salt and freshwater crocodiles and snakes as dangerous as the taipan, i saw a pair for sale the other day..
a shop close to me actually has about six little crocs only about a foot long, they are great looking..
here we do have some exempt reptiles, eastern bts and blotched bts are both exempt..i think this is to stop people thinking stuff the licence, i`ll just go catch some..