Sick Indonesian skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
chubbyskink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Sick Indonesian skink

Postby chubbyskink » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:43 pm

Hello everyone. of the recent, my Indonesian bts, Farquaad, has been having some irritation around the eyes; causing them to swell shut and excrete bubbles. He’s also been having some serious respiratory issues, wheezing and sneezing all the time and having crust gather around his nose. I’m pretty sure the two are linked but not it’s just a guess. If anyone could tell me what is going on and how I might treat it that would mean the world to me!!!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Sick Indonesian skink

Postby splashy07 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:14 am

Is this a recently acquired animal? About 95 percent of Indos are imported, and often come in with maladies.
This seems a bit too serious for guesswork, I would advise a trip to the vet.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:26 pm

VET VISIT ASAP! This skink is sick and needs medication to get better.
chubbyskink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby chubbyskink » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:42 pm

I’ve had the skink since early November
chubbyskink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby chubbyskink » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:46 pm

I’m not able to get him to the vet until next week, the infection seems mild but is getting worse… if anyone has any ideas about something that might help him while we wait for an available appointment that would be very appreciated.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:30 pm

Were you able to get him to the vet? You can try to nebulize him or have him in the bathroom while someone takes a hot steamy shower. That will help to break up any mucous. I wouldn't call his symptoms mild. What you are describing can get worse quickly.
chubbyskink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby chubbyskink » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:48 am

I got him to the vet, he has been treated for a lung disease with terramycin, ciprofloxacin, and meloxicam. his condition has improved a lot since. I don’t know if this is a side affect from his lung disease, but he hasn’t been eating at all, does anyone have any recommendations as to how to get him eating again?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 am

So sorry to hear that your skink is sick and not feeling that well. To get him eating again you are probably going to have to get him some Emeraid or Critical Care Carnivore care and force feed him for a little while. Then, slowly reintroduce regular feedings.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”