Hello, Back with more questions.

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Mr. Skink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Hello, Back with more questions.

Postby Mr. Skink » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:08 pm

It's been 4 months since I posted and it has been a ride. First I wanted a blue tongue, then I sent my Russian tortoise to a very money-hungry veterinarian, lost interest in Blue tongues and fell in love with Emerald tree skinks, became obsessed with bioactive, lost interest in emerald tree skinks and began liking crested geckos and gargoyle geckos, lost interest in the reptile hobby for like a month, became obsessed with Ackie monitors, and now realized that I wanted a reptile that I can spend time with that doesn't run away or hide in it's shell. I know much more about reptiles and Blue tongue skinks and after some careful consideration I decided that Tanimbar skinks are my favorite. I've decided to make a 4x4x2 plywood enclosure, and bioactive (but with artifical plants). I however have some questions, I am hoping yall will answer.
1: Real plants are expensive, can I use artifical plants without worrying that my BTS will eat it?
2: Can i hold my BTS a lot after he gets used to handeling? Or should I take occasional breaks.
That's about it. Thanks in advance.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Hello, Back with more questions.

Postby splashy07 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:54 am

Well, first off I would recommend another species as Tannies are not known for their personality. Some can be downright nasty. Being that you lose interest rather quickly this wouldn't be your best route. Blue tongues in general take time off and sometimes do not want to be bothered, and most brumate whether you want them to or not for a few winter months.
Tank decor will be bulldozed around, the simpler you keep it the better, but artificial plants are way better than real.
I did have one that tried to eat a green decoration but that was an oddity.
I'd stay away from any imports and try and find a Northern.
Mr. Skink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Hello, Back with more questions.

Postby Mr. Skink » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:11 pm

Ok thank you for answering, I didn’t know that tanimbars were like that! I’m glad that I can use plastic plants siince I was worried I won’t take care of them well. Thank u :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”