Skink setup

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
tarrynveldman
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink setup

Postby tarrynveldman » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:53 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a long time reptile owner but i'm going to be getting my first blue tongued skink in about a month. I've been doing research for months now and finally have the tank setup. I'm honestly just wanting your opinions on it and what I can do or change. He will have lights they just aren't plugged in right now. I'll list some info below if that helps! sorry if the photos are blurry!!

Australian blue tongued skink (northern)
Bedding is aspen shavings and coco fibre mixed (mainly aspen)
there's a few big cave hides and fake plants in there, plus some logs.
I made the one side for basking (first picture) but i want to make sure it'll work okay for him.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks so much :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Skink setup

Postby Janella » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:09 pm

Hi there, how big is this enclosure? It is hard to tell by the pictures. I personally don't like aspen. I find it to be dry and dusty. I like using ZIlla Jungle Mix and Reptibark. I use about 3-4 inches of substrate. They like to borrow. The plants, logs, and things to use to borrow are good. I would make sure to have UVB bulb as well. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to reach out.
tarrynveldman
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tarrynveldman » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:53 am

Its 48 x 24 and 26 high. I just realized the pictures uploaded differently so the basking side is the other one, not the first picture. I've got a UVB strip light that takes up half the enclosure. And thank you for helping!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:09 am

Perfect size and sounds good on everything else. Welcome!
tarrynveldman
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tarrynveldman » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:56 pm

Regarding the aspen being too dry; do you think adding in another kind of substrate will help make it a bit less dry? Or do I give up on the aspen completely?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:39 am

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get my notifications that you responded. I apologize. I would not use Aspen. Just to dry and dusty. I have used what I recommended for years now and not one time have I had an issue with shedding.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”