7yo Indo hasn't eaten in 3 months

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Srsnickers
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

7yo Indo hasn't eaten in 3 months

Postby Srsnickers » Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:28 pm

He runs around, burrows, plays with me outside the habitat, hasn't lost weight, suns himself daily, has clear eyes, normal tongue movement, has no dry spots, and is externally hydrated. He hasn't shed since he stopped eating. His only intake has been one egg yolk, one blueberry and one pea. Normally this time of year he'll brumate a few times for 5 to 6 weeks at a time but this time he is showing no signs of sleeping. He's not drinking either; there's been no excrement at all.

I have changed food containers, tried one food at a time, left food soaking in water, tried hand feeding, cleaned and disinfected his terrarium twice in the last 3 months (like normal with no signs of insects, worms, or eggs), left him alone for a few days seeing if he'll go into brumation on his own.

He is very social and actually likes to be held and walk around under my hair. He also watches the birds through the window while he suns himself. He does hiss when he doesn't want to be disturbed.

If he were lethargic, I'd be at the vet. However, he is normally active, aware, and responsive. So my question is, is it detrimental for him not to have sustenance and water for this long of a period of time without being in brumation? I'm wondering if he is constipated and if there is some way I can figure that out and help.

Thanks in advance.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: 7yo Indo hasn't eaten in 3 months

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 6:03 am

I'd say possibly a male in season, as my Northern, Eastern and Western males go on a long hunger strike when in season. Can't say for Indos though, as I've not experienced this with those types as I do not breed them. Mine are actually overactive certain times when they wish to breed, but do not eat at all and it's quite worrisome as they lose a significant amount of weight. Although I'm very familiar with this scenario, I still worry every year!
Even a single male with no females around can go into season, but I imagine this would have happened before being he is 7 years? Hopefully some Indo keepers will chime in and give some insight.
Srsnickers
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Srsnickers » Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:16 am

Never even thought about being in season. I don't know the sex and don't intend to ever breed. For your males, how long does it take before their season has passed?
Srsnickers
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Srsnickers » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:26 am

UPDATE: I upped the humidity to 90% and he went right to sleep! Hopefully, he'll brumate for a few weeks, wake up, shed and eat hearty.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:47 am

Some are in season 4-6 weeks, some longer.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”