Skink bites his tail

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
MochiTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Skink bites his tail

Postby MochiTheSkink » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:07 pm

Dear forum, my skink has been biting its own tail for a few days now. It is still unclear to me why he does this and a vet with experience in reptiles is only open again on Tuesday. His tail is already completely red and crusty. I couldn't find any parasites on his scales... He almost seems to be "hunting" his tail, just like when I put grasshoppers in it... Is anyone familiar with it? thanks in advance!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Skink bites his tail

Postby Janella » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:44 pm

I have never heard of a skink doing this behavior. Vet visit is in order to rule out infection.
MochiTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby MochiTheSkink » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:05 am

Janella wrote:I have never heard of a skink doing this behavior. Vet visit is in order to rule out infection.

We went to the reptile vet and he also couldn‘t figure out what was going on. He gave us hydrocortisel cream. And i‘m not giving him so much heat which helped bc he‘s more lazy now and not biting his tail as much…
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:51 am

How hot was your basking temp? How close is the lamp to where he can bask? Did he get burned then? Sure looks like it could be from that.
MochiTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby MochiTheSkink » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:01 pm

Janella wrote:How hot was your basking temp? How close is the lamp to where he can bask? Did he get burned then? Sure looks like it could be from that.

The lamp is since 7 years the same… since its mounted far away i don‘t think thats the case…
the vet today took swab tests, i hope that will bring clearity
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:51 pm

Okay good. Curious to find out what it may be from.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:54 am

Not good to make him cold especially if he's sick...just make sure your temps/humidity are correct for the species.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:58 am

Yea, I missed that. If he is sick they need more heat not less. What is his temps?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”