Is my skink okay?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KR_37
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Is my skink okay?

Postby KR_37 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:00 am

I’m a new and first time skink owner, he’s an eastern blue tongue and is about 3 months old, he just had his first shed with me owning him and he’s eating fine but he’s started to do this where he’s trying to climb up into the crevice or roof of his hide? Is this normal or concerning? (Also I know that I can’t tell gender I just say he) pictures attached of his setup as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shrimpy
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Is my skink okay?

Postby shrimpy » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:13 am

i'm pretty sure thats normal for a young skink but i just dont have the experience to know for sure
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:50 am

This is pretty normal. Skinks will sometimes try to climb up and over things. How many hides do you have in his enclosure? What are your temps? I don't see any other pictures posted other then the one of the skink in the hide.
KR_37
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby KR_37 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:46 am

Sorry for my late reply, that’s his only hide, but he has a log he can hide in and a basking rock, I’ve got a heat lamp on one side that reaches about 32 degrees and then side where his hide is on reaches 25 degrees potentially cooler. I didn’t realise my second photo of their enclosure didn’t get added but I’ve added it here. The heat lamp should I turn it off at night or is it fine to leave on?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:44 am

Heat lamp should be turned off at night.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:41 pm

Hi there, so couple of things. What is the length of your enclosure? From the pictures it looks a little small. Skinks need a minimum enclosure of 4ft. Ideally the more floor space the better. That could be why he is climbing and doing what it is doing. Your skink needs more space. Your temps also need to be bumped up a little bit higher. Basking needs to be around 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit and cool side no lower then 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Also I would turn the basking/heat bulb at night.
Madwoman Madrigal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Madwoman Madrigal » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:12 pm

Janella wrote:Hi there, so couple of things. What is the length of your enclosure? From the pictures it looks a little small. Skinks need a minimum enclosure of 4ft. Ideally the more floor space the better. That could be why he is climbing and doing what it is doing. Your skink needs more space. Your temps also need to be bumped up a little bit higher. Basking needs to be around 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit and cool side no lower then 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Also I would turn the basking/heat bulb at night.

Wow, really? I've got a Northern and everywhere I've been reading says it's 60s-70s, and the lower end of that is what we get this time of year at night. If I put a heat bulb over his cool end (basking spot 90s-low 100s, ambient high 80s on the hot side) will mine come out of his burrow? He stayed in there all day yesterday but it was also kinda cold despite us having the heat on. When he comes out he's quite active since he's just a little guy now. (7 mos)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:04 pm

I have never heard of anyone recommending keeping a Northern with temps that low. His cool side should be at the lowest 72. Ideally right between 72-75. Then, as I previously mentioned I would keep his basking spot at 95-100. Skinks like to borrow especially this time of year when they slow down during the winter months. That is all normal. However, with the correct temps your skink will be active and healthy for a long time. Here is our recommended care guide:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29520
Madwoman Madrigal
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Madwoman Madrigal » Sun Feb 18, 2024 9:07 am

Janella wrote:I have never heard of anyone recommending keeping a Northern with temps that low. His cool side should be at the lowest 72. Ideally right between 72-75. Then, as I previously mentioned I would keep his basking spot at 95-100. Skinks like to borrow especially this time of year when they slow down during the winter months. That is all normal. However, with the correct temps your skink will be active and healthy for a long time. Here is our recommended care guide:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=29520

I was referring to the night temps. It was getting kind of on the lower 70s during the day but I put one of those heat coils like 6in above the enclosure so it's been warming that part and that issue is fixed.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:40 am

Gotcha, glad all is fixed.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”