What are these whitish patches on her back?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BklynBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

What are these whitish patches on her back?

Postby BklynBluey » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:41 am

Hi - I had no intention of owning a Bluey, but rescued one a few months ago when I overheard a man on the subway, talking about how he wished his would die. It was awful and I blurted out, “I’ll take her!”

Ruth is 12, and had been kept in her too-small tank in a basement for years, eating only cat food. I have quickly fallen in love with her. She is so curious and personable and funny! Ruth now has a balanced diet, lots of engagement, and can spend hours running around my living room.

A few weeks ago, some pinkish sections appeared on her back. They subsequently turned whitish. It looked like an injury, like a scrape. The only potential cause I could find was a sharpish point on the entrance to her rock cave, which she’d had for years. I filed it down, and the spots turned from pinkish to white, and seems to get a bit smaller, but they have not gone away.

She’s going through a shedding cycle, and the spots have turned pinkish again, like new skin. I’ve researched skin conditions online, but can’t find anything that matches what I’m seeing .

I still suspect she scraped herself, but why aren’t the splotches going away? Or is this a disease?

FYI, she was getting ready to shed in the attached photos , so the only part to be concerned about is her back. (And yes, she had MBD.)

This might be TMI, but I was recently laid off and also have a chronically ill kitty, so if I can avoid a costly vet trip, it would be great – although I will do whatever Ruth needs.

Thank you in advance for your insight and help!
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: What are these whitish patches on her back?

Postby mb606587 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:51 pm

No picture was attached, but without seeing, this sounds like a bacterial infection. You're going to want to place your skink on paper towel substrate and treat with an antiseptic solution like Betadine and apply a triple antibiotic ointment. Sometimes this can clear the issue up but if not, prescription strength antibiotics prescribed by a vet would then be needed if it does not improve.
BklynBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: What are these whitish patches on her back?

Postby BklynBluey » Mon May 01, 2023 9:39 am

Sorry - I’d uploaded two pics. Not sure why they didn’t appear. I’m trying again here, but in the meantime, I’ll do as suggested and hope it helps my girl. Thanks so much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”