Adult male northern blue tongue skink will NOT eat no matter what I try

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
io skink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Adult male northern blue tongue skink will NOT eat no matter what I try

Postby io skink » Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:29 pm

Some information

I've had this male since he was a baby, he has always gone through periods of fasting during the winter and spring months but I'm getting really stressed out about him not eating.

It's been almost 5 months and he's losing weight. He's very active. He digs and he basks in his hot spot (105*F) and sleeps soundly in his hide (between 75-80*f). He uses cocodirt in his tank that I wet every now and again when it gets dry all the way through. His tank is 1ft by 3ft for floor space that he's lived comfortably in for years. He has some elevated platforms to crawl on and under and a couple plants for decoration that he loves to tip over. And he always has a water bowl in his tank that I keep clean. I have to change it almost every day bc he throws dirt in it lol.

But he WILL NOT EAT and is loosing weight. He seems healthy but nothing I give him will tempt him. I don't know what to do. He seems very healthy but should I take him to the vet? I'm stressing out.

I've tried all the bugs (but he doesn't care for live food)
I've tried many different flavors of canned dog food (likes this)
I've tried some suggested greens like bazil to tempt him
I've tried eggs
I've tried canned snails
I've tried repashy bluey buffet (he loves this)
I've tried fruit (he hates fruit)
I've tried dabbing tinny bits of honey on things to temp him (doesn't work)

So idk what else to do. I wouldn't be stressing out this much if it wasn't for the fact that this is the longest he's gone without food and he's actually getting thinner :(
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Adult male northern blue tongue skink will NOT eat no matter what I try

Postby Janella » Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:08 pm

I would recommend a vet visit at this point. You never know what may be going on, but it is better to be safe then sorry. I would recommend having them do bloodwork to make sure his organs are working properly and there is no signs of infections.
io skink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby io skink » Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:06 pm

Janella wrote:I would recommend a vet visit at this point. You never know what may be going on, but it is better to be safe then sorry. I would recommend having them do bloodwork to make sure his organs are working properly and there is no signs of infections.

Okay, I'll try doing that. How long can males go without food? What's normal? How much weight do they lose while fasting usually?
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:08 pm

So reptiles can go without food, especially if your skink was brumating. However, since you mention your skink is active and alert that is not the issue here. If your skink hasn't been eating for 5 months then something else is going on.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:34 am

He is just coming off season. Adult males go absolutely insane during breeding season even without the presence of a female. Mine have just started to eat last week. They had not had anything at all since late October. Now they are absolute garbage pails. Sometimes they do not go back on feed until mid-April. They lose a substantial amount of weight and look horrible, but usually gain it back the first week back on feed. Pinky mice and hard-boiled eggs, or eggs any fashion is a favorite of mine starting up again. When he gets the feed bag back on again, he will probably eat every day for a week or two.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby Janella » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:59 pm

I agree it could be a male breeding thing, but I would get him checked soon if he doesn't start eating. Remember Noodles Splashy? So better to get it checked and make sure there is nothing else going on.
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby 7.62 » Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:48 am

Can you post a picture of him so we can see his weight?

I also have a male northern. He is 5 years old and has always been very healthy but every year from fall through spring he rarely eats, extremely picky and has went months on end without eating. I use to worry but now I know it's completely normal for him. He always maintains a healthy weight, luckily. If this is new for your bts or the weight loss is excessive that would be what is concerning. If weight is fine I wouldnt worry. But a vet visit wouldnt hurt if it will ease your mind!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”