Animal plastics heating and lighting

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
linkj154
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Animal plastics heating and lighting

Postby linkj154 » Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:15 pm

I am planning on getting an eastern blue tongue skink and am thinking about keeping it in a 6x2x2 pvc enclosure from animal plastics. I would like to use a basking bulb for day heat and an arcadia deep heat projector for night heat during the winter (the tempurature in my house gets below 65 degrees in the winter at night), and arcadia ceramic lamp holders that mounts inside the cage on the ceiling to hold both of them. I contacted animal plastics 2 weeks ago but never got a response. Do any of you know if these devices are safe to use inside an animal plastics enclosure?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Animal plastics heating and lighting

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:15 am

API enclosures hold heat very well, and I find my Easterns don't like it too hot. I have never used nighttime heat for any of my animals. Easterns are tolerant of cooler temperatures, and it's perfectly natural to have a night cool down. A basking daytime lamp is enough, they'll fry with a ceramic heater in an API enclosure. (Most of my enclosures are API or similar design). My easterns run for the cooler end if temps go above 85. The size is also overkill as mine are fine in a 36x24x12, 36x24x16 and 48x24x12. You do not need such height as they do not climb and it would be very difficult for their basking area to get warm enough from 2 feet above.
For easterns, too much heat is just as bad as not enough, and such a large cage would be difficult to regulate. A 36x24x12 or 16 height would be fine with an overhead screen cutout for the lamp on one side. If you prefer larger, the 48x24x12 would do with same.
vana
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Animal plastics heating and lighting

Postby vana » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:19 am

Animal Plastics is incredibly busy. Try and call a couple of times and see if you can get someone on the phone.

It is not listed as an option on the webpage for most of the cages, but you should be able to get them to install a ceramic incandescent fixture (or more than one) for an extra charge.

They do allow customization, though it slows the order. I've got one on order with a tall litter dam, and extra holes for lights and probes.

They have bearded dragon cages with incandescent fixtures as a standard option:

https://apcages.com/collections/special ... -24l-x-15h

You can install incandescent fixtures on the underside of the roof of the cage yourself (with screws/bolts). If you install your own fixtures for lights inside, you should ask AP to drill holes and slots in the roof of the cage for the cords to come out of (the cord comes out of the hole, and fits in the slot on the top of the cage so it exits in the back... this allows you to stack cages).

Keep in mind you will need a space between the fixture and the pvc, as pvc doesn't respond well to heat. AP uses nylon spacers for this. You could use those or similar insulating materials. As an alternative, Arcadia makes a fixture with a bracket:

https://www.reptilebasics.com/dome-ligh ... older-pro/

When I ordered mine a few months ago, they quoted me an 8 month wait time, so consider that.

I drew a diagram of the cage and sent it to AP so they could customize it. The diagram shows the position of the heating panel they are installing, two probe holes, and holes for incandescent/flourescent lights.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”