Very sunken back

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BananaMilk
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Very sunken back

Postby BananaMilk » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:05 am

Hello all:) Ive recently adopted a possibly Irian Jaya or Merauke, I'm fairly new to reptiles in general and have primarily owned birds and a leopard gecko and while picking up food for my gecko at petco came across a skink with possible MBD or has a spinal deformity Im not sure which. I of course had to adopt the little guy and try to give him the best life I can provide, his condition appears purely cosmetic and does not effect his mobility eating or deification however if there is a way to correct or lessen the sunken back appearance Im sure his organs would appreciate it:,) I will be getting X-rays on this guy within the week because I work at a vet clinic. Also any knowledge on what breed this guy id would be much appreciated as he was sold as a Tiliqua occipitalis. Thanks:)
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Very sunken back

Postby Janella » Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:24 pm

Hi there and thanks for rescuing/saving this little guy. Can you post pictures so we can help identify the species and also see what is going on with the back? Thanks

Janella Poch
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:10 am

First misinformation: A Tiliqua Occipitalis would have set you back five grand. One appearing at Petco would be as odd as a snowball in hell. As much as I despise Petco selling reptiles, I am very happy you happened to be there to rescue the little guy.
As Jan said, please, let's see so we can try and help.
BananaMilk
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BananaMilk » Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:54 am

Hello everyone! I’m sorry I havent replied to this thread in about a year Ive been pretty busy. Here are some pictures of Uma when I first got him vs now hes grown to about 20 inches and seems to be a pretty happy little guy:) I have him on a spin to aprils bluey chow every other day with added calcium in the food and he will occasionally get snails, scrambled eggs and on rare occasions a very small pinkie. I’m still not 100% sure what kind of bts he is but im certain hes an Indonesian and had issues with retained shed until investing in a misting system, not a single toe shed has been stuck since. Im visiting again because Id like to upgrade his tank (the current set up is a 65 gallon with heat uvb and a ceramic heat emitter thats on 247) however Id like to build something for him that gives him more space then a 4’x2’x2’. I feel like he should have more of an appt over a bedroom lol I hope everyone has been doing well since my initial post:)
7628A12E-933E-4573-A8E3-987224CCA7A9.jpeg
F5731832-ACF8-4DD8-A652-DDDDE94042F2.jpeg
73422125-3D6A-4D8E-9BA0-F771D7CDEA73.jpeg
47ACB2C1-CFCD-4527-AD94-385F8553A1A1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:05 pm

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said there was a dent in your skinks back. Do they have any idea what it was from??? I am glad he can function and doing so well. The minimum cage size for these guys is the 4 by 2 by 2. I have both my Northern and Merauke each in this size and they do well. However, they always love more floor space. The more the better. Your skink looks like a Merauke from first glance, but better pictures from the side and over top would be better for identifying it. Thanks for rescuing it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”