Please Help, Very worried about my bluey

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
KoTheBluey
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Please Help, Very worried about my bluey

Postby KoTheBluey » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:58 pm

Hi, I’ve had my blue tongue skink Ko for about three years now. Recently, I took him to the vet as i suspected an RI due to seeing bubbles around his mouth. Blood tests came back clear but swab tests showed a bacterial issue assumed to be an RI by the vet. I have been given shots of medication to treat the RI with which I have been doing every two days as instructed by my vet- today is supposed to be the last day (he has not yet had todays shots).
As I have been treating his RI, other problems have developed. About a week after I noticed he was off, he went into shed. It has now been another two to three weeks and he still has not shed completely. I have been giving him warm baths every so often to try and tease the shed off but to not much avail- if I pull too hard then he bleeds. His feet have recently become red and extremely swollen (the back ones not so much- mainly the front two) and he has not moved at all other than when I move him or to drink water. The vet gave me a cream to apply to his feet to hopefully help the swelling go down but it hasn’t made much of a difference. I have also been putting him in a box with a nebuliser twice a day for 20 minutes every single day since treatment began (as instructed by my vet). He also has not been eating much at all throughout this entire ordeal so I have been adding reptoboost to his baths and drinking water in the hopes of providing him with at least some nutrition. Today, I was giving him his bath when I noticed a lot more loose shed than usual on one of his swollen front feet. Because of this, I decided to gently tease it all off; revealing a very red and sore looking foot underneath. I put some of the cream on and then placed him onto a towel to dry him off, and then he threw up. Two whole blueberries that he’d eaten earlier alongside a lot of saliva and what I can assume is digestive acid. After this, he became extremely limp and weak so I put him back into his enclosure. He is still alive and very angry as when I touch or lift him he opens his mouth and hisses, but his body does not move and he is still extremely limp. Please help me if anybody has any idea what could be going so wrong; I’m deeply worried about him and I have been doing everything my vet instructed to a T but he doesn’t seem to be getting any better (I should note that the bubbles in his nose and mouth have cleared as far as I can see- he is looking much healthier in that aspect so I believe his RI is genuinely improving, it’s just every other aspect of his health that appears to be worsening.) and I don’t know what to do. I want him to get better, but I don’t know how to achieve this. I’m scared to even give him his shots tonight after he’s thrown up in fear of stressing him out even further. I don’t know if he’ll even make it through the night at this point. I should also note that the vet was informed of all my husbandry practices including his temperatures and humidity and told me that everything sounded perfect bar the timer his arcadia bulb is set onto- he wanted me to add two or so more hours to each day so he could get more ‘daylight’. His nose has also become extremely red and raw looking over the last couple of weeks (from looking entirely healthy maybe 3-4 weeks ago) to the point where his front top teeth are visible. It can’t be nose rub as he hasn’t been moving- except when I put him into the nebuliser box or his baths, in which case he does rub his nose more or less the entire time trying to get out, but would that amount cause that much damage over only weeks? Any advise from informed keepers would be very deeply appreciated. Thank you so much for your time. I just want my boy to get better.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”