PSA about brumination

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Claudia&Louie
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

PSA about brumination

Postby Claudia&Louie » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:11 am

Short story: it took me about 200$ to learn that all blue tongue skinks can bruminate, it varies on the individual, and they don't necessarily bruminate each year or for the same time each year.

I have an Indonesian blue tongued Skink, and I've had him for about 4-5 months. Through that time I learned what brumination was and did a lot of research. Most articles about brumination didn't specify species, and just made it seem like all blue toungued skinks do so. Then I got the sense that only northerns do, since Australia and Indonesia have different climates. However, my BTS slept for a week and I got so worried that I took him to the emergency room. Apparently they just do whatever they feel like in the winter. If they're out for 3 months you should worry, though. And make sure they're breathing. And after 10 days after they awaken they should be hungry. I think that's it, but boy was I mad that I knew what brumination was but nothing I read told me that all of them maybe bruminate whenever.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: PSA about brumination

Postby splashy07 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:12 pm

I have not witnessed brumation in any Indonesian species I have kept, although not saying It may not occur. Halmaheras do not brumate as their climate doesn’t fluctuate much.
Any Indo keepers care to comment? I haven’t kept any for quite some time. There may be seasonal changes they can feel that could trigger mood swings, but lengthy brumation periods rarely occur. My three different Aussie types will brumate for 6-10 weeks.
kandon4321
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby kandon4321 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:17 am

Be careful with brumation i nearly lost a bluey as it had mild respiratory infection befor hand i didnt know about and only noticed when I gave him a check up. Had to take him to a vet and get him on antibiotics. Give you blueys check up in winter.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:24 am

Yes, a thorough check up is essential before brumation season.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”