Newbie not sure if he is eating

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
tashadarby
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Newbie not sure if he is eating

Postby tashadarby » Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:40 am

Screenshot_20221112_212600_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221112_212529_Gallery.jpg
New owner of a blue tongue skink. I am not new to reptiles I own 5 bearded dragons and a Savanah monitor. I have had the skink for maybe 3 weeks I was told by breeder he just finished a shed and he was fed greens, dubias, and crickets.... I have him/her in a low profile 40 gallon from opening reptile tank. I have uvb lights reptisun 10.0 75 watt basking light. I can't really tell if he is eating stays in his log most of time. I took to vet the other day they gave him clean bill of health other then checking his poop I had just cleaned tank but I don't know that I had seen any. Not sure what to do to get him to eat? Any suggestions I will post pics of set up when I get home today. Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tashadarby on Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tashadarby
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Newbie not sure if he is eating

Postby tashadarby » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:14 pm

The cage set up
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:16 am

What species? What breeder? I've never heard of a BTS eating greens if not mixed with something else. Is the skink a baby or juvenile? If so give him a high grade canned cat food. If older you can try dog food. Just greens and insects are a poor diet for any skink, and I seriously doubt he was eating greens. Mine will eat peas and carrots and occasionally string beans but that's about it. Most pet shop insects are poor quality, I'd suggest you feed your bugs a decent diet before offering. If your skink came from a pet shop it's more than likely Indonesian and even more likely imported.
tashadarby
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tashadarby » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:06 am

Indonesian... I got at a reptile show I'm not sure if they are original breeder or pet shop...I been reading the threads and I can kind of see that you can feed just one particular food so that may be my down fall in beginning I did offer crickets I got from pet store just not sure if he ate them or the died off... he is starting to emerge in mornings I seen him yesterday actually basking which is new I did however forget to ask about the age. I bout dog food lastnight (zignature) but I will introduce the cat food first. I also ordered reptilinks as well for variety and I want to see how my Bearded dragons like those as well. The crickets are store bought so I gut load them. I raise my own dubias and they are gutloaded as well before feeding them. Switched the basking light from a 100 watt to a 60 since I switched to the low profile tank. He doesn't hiss as much me coming from the front vs coming from the top. Any and all ideas are welcomed
Last edited by tashadarby on Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tashadarby
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tashadarby » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:09 am

He is peeking out this morning
Screenshot_20221114_100845_Messages.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:32 am

Indos are 99 percent wild caught imports and will take some time getting used to things, their previous experience with humans I can tell you for sure was not favorable. That being said, there is no reason why he could not become a great little pet with some patience and perseverance. Back in the day there were no captive bred reptiles....everything exotic was wild caught/imported and I've had both good and bad experience with that. I do encourage purchasing from a breeder though, not because I am one myself but for the better chance of a healthy and tame animal.
Anyone can claim to be a breeder. Ask for lineage and pictures of parents. Ask a million questions that could not be answered by one who did not produce the animal.
tashadarby
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tashadarby » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:52 am

The crazy thing is I usually ask these questions whenever I get a new bearded dragon. I don't know why i didn't the excitement I guess I have researched them but tried to stick with what the seller was feeding or at least say they where feeding them. But best believe whatever situation he came from he is definitely in a better one.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:11 am

No doubt. Good luck with him/her and keep us posted!
tashadarby
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby tashadarby » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:06 am

splashy07 wrote:No doubt. Good luck with him/her and keep us posted!

So I seen a post you made about feeding dog/cat food. I got the halo cat food you had in the post mixed it and the omnivore mix put a motion camera in the room and he ate every bit of it. Thanks so much
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:32 am

Always happy to help! All the best to you and your pet!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”