Releasing a BTL

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Carnage2k4
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Releasing a BTL

Postby Carnage2k4 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:15 pm

So a month or 2 ago, we found a juvenile BTL (about 7-8cm long) almost drowning in a drain on our property and who had some damage to their upper lip, we already have store bought lizards (other species) and a spare terrarium so we have been feeding it etc. Till he's looking healthy and quite a bit bigger now. But as he's wild I want to let him go, but not at the house he was found in, as we know that when we leave here (we rent) next year, the land owner is 100% going to subdivide the property and it's in the middle of Adelaide's outer CBD suburbs, plus I know there are possibly a few BTLs in the area already.

I was just wondering if BTLs are travellers? If we let him go in a bushland area about 15Ks away are they going to try and return to the house?
And should I let him go at any particular time of the day? I would not want it to be preyed upon in a new area it's not familiar with.
kandon4321
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Releasing a BTL

Postby kandon4321 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:23 am

Hard to say. I work for a snake catching company and with the snakes we relocate them to a area a few km way and they tend to be fine. But those are snakes not lizards lizards do tend to hang around a certain area with food and shelter but if you find another place with alot of places to hide or a place similar to you own backyard it should be fine. Bluetongues do survive out in the bush so if you let him go there there are likely other blueys out there to. Hopefully he hasn't become to accompanied to captivity.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”