Frozen food

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Annimaddo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Frozen food

Postby Annimaddo » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:48 pm

Hi
I’ve had my blue tongue Wanda for a couple years now and love her (could be him) to death. Only thing that’s annoying is her diet, I feed her grain free dog food mixed with veggies and all the healthy stuff but it’s very expensive. This is fine but I’ve been freezing it to last longer and she refuses to eat it when it’s thawed out. I’ve tried thawing it in lots of different ways but she still won’t eat it! The only way she will eat is if I leave it to the next day but by then it’s dried and gross. I’ve done that by accident some times and she eats it all, but I’m not overly comfortable with it because I don’t want her to get sick. So do I leave the food in there for an extra day or do I take it out like I have been? She’s never gotten sick from it but I could take it out and try again another day as well because she will eat if she’s starving. Is there anything I can do to get her to eat the food before it’s gross?
Any suggestions would be amazing thanks :)
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Frozen food

Postby splashy07 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:54 am

Unfortunately, they like gross and disgusting. They are quite fond of road kill in the wild. Possibly you can buy your food in smaller containers and keep leftovers in the fridge a few days? I've done that from time to time and it keeps. I rarely have leftovers though as I have quite a few lizards! I don't know about your side of the planet but there are many types of dog food here that is sold in little containers, just a few ounces. Good luck!
edwintheskink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby edwintheskink » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:23 am

I also use frozen food. My guy has no problem eating it thawed. But what I do sometimes, and maybe this would help you, is mix in some freshly made bluey buffet into the thawed out food.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:15 am

My skinks hate thawed food too. The issue with freezing dog food is that it removes/changes the taste and smell (and even strips away the gravy which to my boys is the best part) which is likely why some skinks just won’t touch it. Definitely get dog food in trays. One tray feeds 2-3 lizards. Any leftovers put in an airtight container in the fridge so it lasts longer and doesn’t soak up the smells from other contents in the fridge.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”