Aggressive Bluey

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Loosegoose
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Aggressive Bluey

Postby Loosegoose » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:57 am

Hi all! Long post ahead.

I recently rescued a blue tongue. I am his third home and I have next to no history on him. I do have reptile experience (especially rescues), but this is my first blue tongue. I've named his Tartarus because he is by far the most aggressive lizard I've ever seen. He'd make crocodiles shiver.

I have a few issues, the most of which being his aggression. We started with tongs which he did NOT like (I suspect a past owner). I was doing hand feeding for a while and it was going well, he was eating from my hands just fine. But about 2 weeks ago, he lunged across the cage and latched on to my finger. Didn't break skin, but he gave me a hell of a bruise and scared the life of of me. Since then, we've moved to spoon feeding.
I've been trying to feed him veggies as much as I can, though he's not very interested (much more interested in the dog food and bugs). I have mixed the dog food with some herbivore crit care just so I know he's getting what he needs.

As for handling, I have not touched him since he went into the tank. I'm considering getting gloves to try and handle him.

My first question: is hand taming at this point reasonable, or should I just be okay with having an animal I can't handle? If I can hand tame, what should I be doing different?

My second question: This morning I was watching him for his shed when I noticed a wound under his chin. I have no idea if this is an old wound or new. There's rocks in the enclosure but nothing to climb on. It's seems swollen and there's some dried blood on it. If I can figure out a way to restrain him without getting bitten, what should I do for the wound? Just clean and put on some diluted betadine?

Thank you all so much!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Aggressive Bluey

Postby Janella » Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:06 pm

Hi there, and first thanks for rescuing your BTS. That is a wonderful thing to do. What kind is it?

Second, I am sorry to hear about it's aggressiveness. All skinks are different. Some are more moody than others. Some like to be handled and others don't. I like that you have given Tartarus time to adjust. That is important. You have to show it that you can be trusted. I would keep spoon feeding it, talking to it, and keep sitting next to it's enclosure so it learns you are not a threat. I would suggest mixing the dog food with the veggies in a food processor so that it doesn't pick out the things it doesn't like. Bugs can just be fed like usual. The Herbicare diet is good if it eats it as well. Remember to switch up protein sources, so you don't end up with a picky eater. As for trying to handle...how has it been going the last few days? Any more aggressiveness towards you? If nothing since that bite, then I would slowly start to try to gently stroke your skink or pick up slowly. Wear gloves slowly. Take things nice and slow. You can even use a towel to wrap it in. Make sure your skink is fully supported so it feels comfortable in your presence. I would try to handle it to see what is going on with the wound. You can clean it like you said with Betadine diluted. Good luck!
Loosegoose
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Aggressive Bluey

Postby Loosegoose » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:27 pm

Hi and thanks for your quick response! I believe he is a classic Indonesian.

I actually did get him out to check the wound (with leather gloves). While he hated it and made it known that he hated it, once I stopped messing with the wound and just held him, he calmed down a little and stopped hissing. I fully believe he would have run off given the chance, but hey, progress is progress. I did notice when I had him out that he was bleeding a little in his mouth, maybe from biting something he shouldn't have. The wound itself looks a little swollen and there's some dried blood between the scales. I cleaned it best I could. I have an appointment for another reptile (a beardie with adenovirus) and the very polite vet staff said they would see him as well. Not excited about getting him in a carrier but oh well.

He's been especially grumpy though since then and has stayed buried in his substrate. I haven't pushed it because 1) he's shedding a bit and I know some lizards get grumpy when they shed and 2) I have to dig him out Monday to take him to the vet anyway. He can have his grumpy time.

I included a photo I snapped of him. Don't hate my form of holding him, this is directly after his trying to escape. It's hard to get a picture one handed with a very angry lizard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”