WC Tanimbar BTS Advice

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
GrumpyTilly
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

WC Tanimbar BTS Advice

Postby GrumpyTilly » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:11 am

Hello BTS Forums.

Im a first time skink owner (though not a first time reptile owner, i've owned anything from Gekko Gecko all the way to T. stejnegeri), just wanted to get some advice as when i try searching for Tanimbar information or general information, i see so many mixed reviews.

Currently i have had the little girl for about a week (Will to refer to her name, which is Tilly), Tilly has been hiding which i know is a normal thing, one occasional i very carefully moved the dirt, when i found her i lightly tapped on the dirt near her and she came out to eat then hissed, bit and ran again :D

Just trying to get a rough idea on when i can work on set things

1. i know a week is short, specially for a WC (Tilly is roughly 4 months old from what i can tell but of course you never know), should I give her some move time and just leave food near where she is hiding instead of finding her for feedings? (I've been home all week and never spotted Tilly so just cautious if she will come out to eat or not, she didn't touch any food before I interacted with her)
2. When would be a good time to take a step forward and work on handling and bonding with her?
3. is it true, I read somewhere if a Tanimbar is angry and hissing, give it food so it see's you as a food provider over a threat? (i did try this and it worked a little, then she mistook my thumb as a banana :D )
4. some people mentioned removing some hides and less substrate to teach Tilly to not be so scared of random sounds in the room, is this something that works or just a stress card and no real working benefit out of it?

Sorry for all these questions but i wish to have a happy lizard and not to over do her, thank you for all the advice in advance :)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”