New Bluey Toe Issues

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
meepmorp
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

New Bluey Toe Issues

Postby meepmorp » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:30 am

Hi everyone,

I got my new Northern BTS (about 7 years old) about 3 days ago and he's been roaming around enjoying his new 4x2x2. All of my parameters are correct according to the care sheet and he's been active, curious, and eating fine. I am, however, quite worried about his feet - they look bent and sore, and it appears his nails haven't been trimmed in a while.

I am not sure what's wrong with his feet exactly - perhaps scale rot? Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with caring for this or how to trim these nails? Is a vet trip in order or is this something I can treat myself?

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Snowypuff_thedragon
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New Bluey Toe Issues

Postby Snowypuff_thedragon » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:04 pm

there toe nails look ingrown. thats probobly the issue.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:45 pm

It looks like he has some issues with his feet for sure. I would recommend a vet visit for two reasons. 1 to check the way his toes are angled. That isn't right. Then, 2 to show you how to trim and care for his feet.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:17 am

Looks like the poor skink's nails have never been tended to, not an easy task to trim a skink's nails as they are so tiny and skinks are so squirmy! That of course is not a reason for neglect, a qualified exotic vet should have no problem doing this. Obviously this one hasn't had foot care ever and a vet visit is definitely a good start. Ingrown and overgrown nails are way too common a sight in the BTS world. Pay attention to those feet, everyone!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”