My Skink isn't moving

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

My Skink isn't moving

Postby barrybarrybarr » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 am

Hi I just got my first BTS in the mail. Poor guy was shipped with two holes in the box and in a bag. He isn't moving at all except for the occasional wiggle and he's opened his eyes a few times. Should I be worried?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: My Skink isn't moving

Postby splashy07 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:55 am

Hoping you had something set up for him, let him settle in. Shipping is very stressful. A few questions, where did you get him and what species? Indonesian types are most often imports and suffer extreme stress in the process. Show us what you have.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:35 pm

Sorry I wasn't super specific I kinda speed posted because I was a little panicked.
I ordered him/her from Reptile Pets Direct, he came in a small box with only 2 holes (one was slightly taped over), inside of a bag with some paper towels. It was overnight shipping so it was less than 24 hours but still that's gotta be rough on them :(
The store said hes and Irian Jaya so I've been keeping his/her humidity at 70% and maintaining proper heat levels which is 70-80 for cool zone and 100-105 for basking spot.
Their name is Bartholomew by the way/or Bart. So far Bart has been keeping their eyes completely closed and hiding in the rock hide I have set up in the back right corner of the enclosure.
At first they weren't moving at all and it really scared me, they opened their eyes once when I opened the bag and kind of took them out of it because I couldn't tell if it was breathing or not and it wasn't moving at all. (terrified by that) And they opened their eyes a second time when I was adjusting their new heat lamp (had to go to the store and get a new one because I realized I needed a dimmer like 20 minutes in, that was when Bart moved for the first time and ran into the hide. Other than that they peak out occasionally with their eyes closed and kind of look into the air?
I'll attach the pic of Bart (the first time they opened their eyes at me) and their enclosure.
I was having a little trouble keeping the humidity up so i took a friends advice and put tinfoil over the top to help keep it in.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:36 pm

20220614_095514.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:59 pm

Bart looks to be a lovely classic Indonesian (T. Gigas gigas). Your humidity and setup seem great. I am a bit worried about Bart's lethargy and possibly the head-lifting. It could be a sign of illness. Bart should be alert and very skittish/flighty, not just staying still.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:05 pm

I've already decided I'm going to take Bart to a vet within a week if I don't see any improvement/movement.
This is Day 2 and he's already poked his head out twice but not opened his eyes or left the hide.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:27 pm

I read somewhere that someone else was having a similar problem so they put their skink into a Tupperware with a little bit of water for it to sit in and it helped. I was wondering if I should do the same?
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:22 pm

Is Bart's talk cold? If he's still lethargic even when room temperature/warm, something is wrong. Indos are known for being spazzy, not calm. You may not have a week if he's really sick.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:27 pm

I decided to take him tomorrow as soon as possible. He didn't react to me picking him up and putting him in water at all. He only reacted when I tried to check his belly for white spots and even then it was a really weak puff/hiss thing. :(
They open at 7:30 and its a 40 minute drive. I'm hoping Bart will be okay through the night.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:59 am

So I have good news, I think.
I moved his hide to check on Bart this morning and touched Bart's tail to see if they were alright because I couldn't really see their head. Bart instantly recoiled and moved forward (a first) then opened their eyes wide and started hissing at me multiple times. I couldn't get the hide back over Bart because they were too close toe the enclosure's wall so I had to scoot them a little bit forward and they sprinted across the tank (the fastest I've seen them move and the most active I've seen them) they burrowed a little bit and then sprinted into the other hide I have for them.
I talked to my mom about it and she seems to think Bart was drugged for the transport and its been taking some time to wear off.
I'm still taking Bart to the vet though just to check but I'm happy to see them active-ish or at least more active than they were yesterday.

here's Bart in their other hide :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:50 pm

I'm so glad to hear Bart is lively again! I really don't like that you were sent a letharigc, wild caught indonesian. The seller really is scummy IMO. I'm so glad Bart ended up with you though and you'll be seeing a vet to make sure he's healthy. I'm sure you and Bart are going to have quite the adventure making sure he's healthy and then getting him to be a friendly skink. Keep us informed on what the vet says and how Bart is doing and I'll try to check in regularly for any questions :) You rock!
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:00 pm

So I just left from the vet and he's got a respiratory illness and on top of that he's had it for a while. His back legs and tail don't look good. He's snotting up. Sneezing a ton. His eyes are sunken in from dehydration. He's really sick. The doctor said he couldn't guarantee that he'll make it through. We'll have to give him shots and give him a formula through a syringe by opening his mouth twice a day. I'm going to do everything I can to try and help him get better. Injections every three days and feeding him critical care. Also soaking him twice a day for 10 minutes. The vet tech I saw was super helpful and even gave me her personal number in case I needed help with anything or had questions which was really comforting.
It's only been a few days but I'm really attached to him, I hate to see him like this. He didn't even react when they gave him his first shot which killed me inside.
I really appreciate you telling me to take him to the vet immediately and I'm glad I didn't wait.
I'll attach the paper they gave me that details his condition when I'm home.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:17 pm

A RI is exactly what I was worried about when you said he kept lifting his head up. I'm so, so, so glad you took him in and are helping him. The good news, to me, is he was active today at all. That's a sign that he's still got some fight in him, and hopefully that means he can pull through.

I would be sending that vet bill to the seller. I guarantee they knew that skink was not ok - no one who knows reptiles would have thought it was ok.

I will also caution you that the illness is not the only thing "wrong" with this skink being sold to you. Gigas like this are wild caught and are not good pets for new owners. They need some specialized care, generally don't like handling, and are just not good first time pets for most people. If you're willing to put the time in and provide for it, which it seems you might be, they can be lovely pets. But they're a lot harder to care for than say a CBB northern, who's personality makes them better suited for being hands-on pets.

Let's face it, if anyone else had received a skink and didn't think to question the lethargy, this skink would have died shortly and the owner would think they did something wrong. And even if it were a healthy skink, it would be "aggressive" and "unhandleable" - usually that ends up with a reptile being neglected and rehomed. This seller really pulled a scummy move IMO.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:45 pm

Gave him his first "dose" of critical care, he hated opening his mouth for it but he ate most of it. (I'm gonna start referring to Bart as a he now) Let him soak for a while and then put him in his hide. He didn't really react to most of it but he did try to fight back when we tried feeding him the first time. So, hoping that he keeps that fire in him and he gradually recovers.
Will keep you guys updated on his situation and how the treatment goes. Hopefully I'll have good news next time I post.
Edit: Oh yeah, we called the reptile store and they gave us a # for the owners, so we called that and of course no one picked up. We're going to keep calling of course and someone is going to take accountability for this.
barrybarrybarr
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby barrybarrybarr » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:33 pm

I'm really sorry to say that Bart passed this morning. I really think we did everything we could. I'm going to miss him, it wasn't long but I enjoyed the time I had with him.
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight

Postby Fatal_S » Sun Jun 19, 2022 4:47 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. You really were Bart's best and only chance, and you did what you could, but he was just too far gone by the time he got to you.

I hope one day you'll consider giving a home to another skink who can really appreciate everything you can offer as an owner. When you're ready, reach out and I'll try to help you find a good breeder to buy from so you get a healthy baby.
Kashiichoo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kashiichoo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:07 am

He is probably not use to the weather
mightyskink509
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mightyskink509 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:20 pm

I just stumbled upon this and I just want to say I am so sorry about Bart </3. Literally my heart just broke reading through this thread.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”