Closing eyes more often?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Caffee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: No facebook! But follow me
@little.bear.garden on insta!

Closing eyes more often?

Postby Caffee » Mon May 02, 2022 3:20 pm

Hi all! I noticed my bluey cheerio has been closing her eyes a lot more frequently. She can open them and keep them open for periods of time without trouble…but i feel like her eyes are shut way more often then than normal. She recently got over a URI about 4 weeks ago. Also, of course, last week she got out and was missing for 3 days before we found her. Ive checked her over and everything seems fine. Shes eating, drinking, her poops look good. I have reason to believe that it might be the temp in her enclosure. Under vets advice, we upped her tank temp about 10 degrees (note that her temps were at the correct temp, she needed it extra hot to help her heal) and from the start she wasnt a fan of it. Do you think she could be signifying that she’s uncomfortable? I think im just worrying too much.
Dx3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Closing eyes more often?

Postby Dx3 » Mon May 02, 2022 4:26 pm

I doubt they’re not a fan of the heat. Cold blooded reptiles would never hide from heat. It sounds like it might have something to do with humidity. Would you be able to keep your eyes open in a super hot and dry environment? Heat is one thing but humidity is just as important.
Caffee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Caffee » Mon May 02, 2022 6:16 pm

Dx3 wrote:I doubt they’re not a fan of the heat. Cold blooded reptiles would never hide from heat. It sounds like it might have something to do with humidity. Would you be able to keep your eyes open in a super hot and dry environment? Heat is one thing but humidity is just as important.

Shes a Northern, and considered she just got over a URI i worry about raising the humidity. It stays at 36%, which if im not wrong, is perfect for her subspecies. Maybe its a combination of the raised temps and humidity? Like i said before, her tank is much hotter than it normally is.
Dx3
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Dx3 » Mon May 02, 2022 6:29 pm

Caffee wrote:
Dx3 wrote:I doubt they’re not a fan of the heat. Cold blooded reptiles would never hide from heat. It sounds like it might have something to do with humidity. Would you be able to keep your eyes open in a super hot and dry environment? Heat is one thing but humidity is just as important.

Shes a Northern, so i dont suspect its JUST humidity. Maybe its the combination of her regular 36% humidity and the hotter temps…i’ll try and lower the temp a bit since its getting warmer where i live.

Can you use a dimmer on a ceramic heat emitter by chance?

Well no that’s what I’m saying. It’s humidity and heat. Can’t do one without the other. 36% is actually kind of low. Northerns don’t need crazy high humidity but not that low. I have mine anywhere from 50-60% which is just… normal. That’s what just comes from my room and a live plant. I’m not saying raise your humidity though. Just my *guess*. I’d wait for some other responses or do some research of your own. Also yeah I don’t see why you can’t put a ceramic heat emitter on a dimmer switch. Depends on how you’re using it.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Tue May 03, 2022 2:30 am

Yeah I agree the humidity is a bit low for Northerns. Keep an eye on how often she sheds her nostrils too. One of my easterns suddenly displayed very similar symptoms of RI and frequently closing his eyes only to find out he had layers of stuck shed in his nostrils and he felt better very quickly after that.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Caffee
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Caffee » Tue May 03, 2022 10:18 am

Y33T wrote:Yeah I agree the humidity is a bit low for Northerns. Keep an eye on how often she sheds her nostrils too. One of my easterns suddenly displayed very similar symptoms of RI and frequently closing his eyes only to find out he had layers of stuck shed in his nostrils and he felt better very quickly after that.

How do you know if theres shed inside the nose? Do you just have to hold them and take a peek? Also im 100% positive it was a URI that she had. The vets took a peak in her mouth and said it was inflamed very minorly.
Kashiichoo
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Kashiichoo » Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:08 am

He needs light more ,,give him a sun light
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:36 am

Reptiles do occasionally retreat from heat source. Everyone thinks they have to fry their reptiles. This is untrue. No matter where you live temps fluctuate at times. My easterns do not like anything above 85. My northerns run for the cool end if it goes above 90. At times I'll simulate a cloudy day by turning down lights.
My skinks thrive and breed with never an issue.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”