Mold In High Humidity Enclosure

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mrmikes21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Mold In High Humidity Enclosure

Postby mrmikes21 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:49 am

Hello all, I just the other day re set up my Indonesian to adjust the temp and humidity, Humidity is about 90% with Temp ambient in the high 80s to 90s with a hot spot of 100. Because of the humidity the entire enclosure is always quite damp and I noticed it only takes a couple hours before his half log and other non cypress wood start to get fuzzy mold on them. Anyone have a way to get rid of or mitigate the mold, or suggestions as to alternative hides that look wooden but wont mold?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Mold In High Humidity Enclosure

Postby splashy07 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:34 am

Possibly a little more ventilation is needed, and there are plenty of resin type and plastic hides on the market. Also the addition of springtails will help control mold if you want to go a little bioactive..I use those in my Isopod tubs for that reason.
mrmikes21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mrmikes21 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:50 am

splashy07 wrote:Possibly a little more ventilation is needed, and there are plenty of resin type and plastic hides on the market. Also the addition of springtails will help control mold if you want to go a little bioactive..I use those in my Isopod tubs for that reason.

Won’t adding more ventilation lower the humidity as well? I’m going to the New England Reptile Expo this weekend so I will take a look around for some resin hides, I’m sure there will be springtails as well! Obviously I’m cleaning up the mold from the wood, but will it hurt him if there is a bit of it in there for a day, I can’t be home to clean it every couple hours.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:06 am

Yes, more ventilation would cause drier air that's where you have to experiment until the balance is correct. A large water bowl or even an extra one if you have the space will help. Coco husk substrate does not mold unless there is some material on it such as feces or food spills that attract mold. I would switch the wood for a ceramic or resin piece.
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby mb606587 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:00 am

Agreed, those wooden half logs don't do well with high humidity. Look to either cork bark tubes or resin piece as splashy suggested.
mrmikes21
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mrmikes21 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:14 am

Just a quick update I switched out all the wood for cork and have not had an issue with mold, I did add a little more ventilation and spring tails as well. Seems like it should be good!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”