Abused Skink

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
honeyyshroom
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Abused Skink

Postby honeyyshroom » Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:10 pm

So I have a adolescent skink and I bought him back in December. He was very timid and scared at first and I had just thought it was because of the new environment. But it has been a while past that and he will not let me hold him or pet him. I suspect he was abused but I don’t really know. I really would like to know if you guys have any tips on how to help him be affection? Or at least okay with me petting him?
ScalesAndTales
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Abused Skink

Postby ScalesAndTales » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:54 pm

Hey there, sorry if this reply is a bit late.

When I got my skink, he was originally pretty skittish and very defensive. This is pretty normal (from my experience at least) that young skinks and skinks that were either wild caught or have little to no human interaction tend to be much more skittish. Abuse isn't necessarily out of the question but definitely keep in mind that they are small and we appear very large and scary to them.

Best ways I've been able to get mine to settle down was hand feeding his favorite foods (mealworms and strawberries) and also handling him for about 10 minute everyday. He was very skittish to being held so I instead would pick him up and make a small area on the floor that he could roam around (I used stuff like books to block off a square area) until he was comfortable with my presence. He still doesn't like being picked up initially but calms down in about 2-3 minutes after taking him out of his enclosure. Best of luck with yours!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”