Stuck Shed or something worse?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
BigBlueyFan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Stuck Shed or something worse?

Postby BigBlueyFan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:08 am

Hello everyone,

I know there are several threads about shedding issues and plenty of tips on how to deal with those too but I haven't found anything similar to my little guys issue yet, so I hope no-one minds me making a new thread.

For context: I have a Tiliqua gigas evanescens that I got two days ago although I did know him beforehand because he as at an animal rescue that I used to work at. He is an adult but due to him being a rescue I don't know how old he is or how he was kept for most of his life. But ever since he was at the rescue he has had this issue with the scales on his back where they are unusually hard and dark, as if there several of them stuck on top of each other (which I think might actually be the case).

With me he lives in a 120x60x60cm glas terrarrium, with 33 Degrees Celsius on his basking rock and around 23 Degrees on the cool side. The humidity is around 80-85%.

Aside from the issue on his back he is very chill and let's himself be handled without any issues. He does try to get away when you touch the scales on his back though :( .When he is in his enclosure he is active and exploring.

I gave him a 30 minute bath today but that didn't help so far. Should I bathe him more often? Or try something else? Is a vet visit in order?

Thanks in advance!

(I attached a picture of his back below, hope it works)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Stuck Shed or something worse?

Postby splashy07 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:29 am

Looks to be more like a burn than a stuck shed, as shed does not normally stick to this area...I'd take him to the vet, especially being a rescue with no clue of previous husbandry.
BigBlueyFan
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby BigBlueyFan » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:56 am

Thank you so much for the quick and helpful response!

I don't know why I never considered a burn before but from what I saw in other pictures it really does seem to fit. My poor guy!

And you are right, he was in quarantine for quite a while at the rescue and never showed any signs that something could be wrong with him but a check-up surely won't hurt.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:07 am

Unfortunately, reptiles can hide their maladies until it's too late. More than likely to avoid predation of the weak or sick in nature.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:03 pm

Hi there and thank you for rescuing your new skink. Poor guy definitely has something going on with him. How is his eating? Where you able to schedule a vet visit? Definitely looks more then just stuck shed for sure.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”