VERY active brumation concerns

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

VERY active brumation concerns

Postby McBoredFace » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:32 am

Hey everyone, my northern bluey is 2 years old and this is his 3rd winter and 2nd brumation. He’s my first bluey. But 3rd reptile. I’m a fairly new reptile keeper with major anxiety as it is so i google everything and whenever I can’t find an answer I come on here and ask my experienced keepers. So I’m sorry if my questions or concerns seem trivial or silly.

So I’m still trying to get a hang of proper brumation since I know every skink is different when they Brumate. Paarthurnax, my bluey, was definitely slowing down and not eating as much in October and in November he stopped eating all together. He’s still very active though. I’ll see him running around his enclosure trying to climb the glass walls and just being nuts and when he’s not running around he’s basking. So I thought maybe he’s not fully brumating, I’ve tried to give him food and he’ll take a few bites and then that’s it. It looks like he’s losing weight too. I don’t have a scale yet to weigh him which I need to get. But I’m just worried I’m either doing something wrong or something is wrong with him. What can I do? Maybe his temps are too high?
At 8:45am-6:45pm his lights are on and the temps are between 75-80 on the basking spot and around 70 in the cool side
At night it dips down to high 60s or regular room temperature.

Also one more silly concern, I constantly see pictures of beautiful blueys faces and my little guy is constantly scraping his nose where he digs and burrows. Is that normal to see some scrapes? I’ll post a picture if you need me to.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to your helpful advice and answers :)
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: VERY active brumation concerns

Postby McBoredFace » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:35 am

Also if I am doing his brumation wrong what should I do from now forward? Do I start to slowly properly brumate him even tho it’s January? Or do I keep what I’m doing and try again next year?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:24 am

You do not have to do anything regarding brumation if you are not breeding. Just let him do what he does. Northerns can go into breeding season as early as January and behavior sounds like that's what it could be. They go a little nuts at that time looking for a mate.
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:22 am

Ohhh okay so he’s just running around his enclosure cause he’s a little horn dog!? Lol that makes sense. Thank you so much for your help. I just get so nervous when it comes to any new experience. I just want to spoil him and give him the best life ever and I try to research and learn more every day and anytime I can, but sometimes you can’t find the answer unless you just ask specifically. So thank you.
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:48 pm

Same thing is going on with one of my boys too. He always had been fully brumating every winter until his 6th brumation he decided to come out of it unusually early. Though I suspect it’s because i got a new skink, that he sensed a disturbance in the force lol.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
McBoredFace
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby McBoredFace » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:32 pm

It’s funny, I was looking at my old posts I’ve made since I’ve gotten my skink and I didn’t even realize it but the year before last I apparently made the exact same type post where he was acting the same way :lol: :roll: I guess this is totally normal and that’s how my little guy brumates.

Thank you everyone for the help. I really gotta try to stop worrying :/ but of course I made a new post with concerns about a weird cut on his mouth. So if any of you get a chance and can maybe take a look I’d really appreciate that :) thank you again.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33298

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”