Substrate Bioactive question

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Marty
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Substrate Bioactive question

Postby Marty » Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:23 am

Hey all, new here and a new soon to be owner of an Irian Jaya BTS. Currently obtaining the enclosure (4x2x2) and was wondering if my list of substrate is good enough to use in a bioactive setup. I already understand the headache it could be and fully prepared. I just would like second opinions on my list.

1. Drainage - Porous rocks
2. Mesh separation layer
3. NEHERP ABG mix (Atlanta Botanical Gardens)
4. Tree Fern fiber substrate (Josh's Frogs)
5. Coco-Fiber/Cypress mulch mix 1 to 1, (Eco-Earth and Forest Floor)
6. Sphagnum Moss to retain moisure
7. Springtails + Isopods

I do plan on setting everything up to make sure it runs smoothly before placing them inside.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Substrate Bioactive question

Postby rixusaku » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:49 am

I would add small pots with drainage holes to the list. Blue tongues are bulldozers in the enclosures since they love to dig, but they will definitely push and force anything that's in their projected tunnel path away (or at least try to if it can't be physically moved by them).

Use robust plants too. Many people have difficulty keeping plants alive in a blue tongue enclosure but it's not impossible!
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”