Page 1 of 1

Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:18 am
by Shorty1212
I’ve read the caresheets on the site and many others lol and was curious on everyone’s experience if you have an IJ on their preferences with night temperatures. I’ve only had my little guy almost 2 weeks and normally he sleeps close to the DHP I run at night but last night I noticed he slept on the cool side which runs room temperature at about 67? Should I let the whole enclosure drop to 67 or keep running the DHP so there’s a warmer area as well? Thank you

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:33 am
by splashy07
I have kept Indonesian species in the past and have never used nighttime heat. Matter of fact, I have never used night heat for anything I keep. Normal household room ambients should be fine. Nighttime cooldown is natural and beneficial to all but nocturnal species.

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:41 am
by Shorty1212
That’s what I always thought to I’ve got a beardie and he’s never had night time heat. I just have read sources that say IJ’s should have warmer night time temperatures because their natural environment temperatures would not drop that low as our room temperatures but I think they would be able to seek cooler areas in their environment?

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:48 am
by splashy07
I think he will be fine. So long as he is not fed too close to time the temp drops. I've raised countless babies in all seasons and have never had an issue.

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:01 am
by Shorty1212
Thank you for all your help

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:37 am
by splashy07
Would love to see a picture of the little one!

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:47 am
by Shorty1212
D2AC57FD-CF73-4B62-9284-7FD61E2BAE98.jpeg


He’s been home almost 2 weeks now. I think I spoke with you yesterday about me having a hard time with asking the breeder for some more information. So I’m glad you’re willing to help. I’ve kept bearded dragons for years now and have always loved blue tongue’s and after a bunch of research I decided to go with an IJ.

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:33 am
by splashy07
Awwww...yes I remember him now! He's adorable!

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:39 am
by Shorty1212
Yeah I love him/her lol so much I’m being patient and letting him settle in he’s let me pet him while he’s eating and hand feed him some Dubia roaches. He’s not hiding when I check temperatures and add some moisture and tilling the substrate so that’s progress.

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:48 am
by splashy07
Looks like he (or she) found a great home. All the best of luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of BTS. Let me warn you, they are highly addictive....hard to stop at just one!!

Re: Night temperatures for IJ?

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:05 am
by Shorty1212
I know right! my wife will keep me in check for a while. I’ll wait until next year to ask if we can bring something else home.