Dry tail?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Dry tail?

Postby CircusCandi12 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:57 am

Hi all, so recently, Stryker finished shedding... And I'm wondering if that's the reason his tail feels so dry compared to the rest of his body? Or.. is this normal? There don't seem to be any stuck scales on his tail that I could find, and I keep his tank misted numerous times a day. He's not a fan of me touching it, either but I assume that's just normal with most reptiles. Anyway, is a dry tail normal? The rest of his body is cool and smooth but I can't feel any kind of particular temperature on his tail, It just feels so rough.
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Dry tail?

Postby IvanDanko » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:38 pm

Hi there,

How has his shedding been so far? Does it come off in small pieces or in one or two large parts like a sock coming off a foot? If its small pieces the humidity may not be quite right and this could explain the rough feeling on the tail, could be some stuck shed.

If not an easy way to check is running your fingers both ways across the belly scales - should be smooth. Any resistance - kind of like the sound of flicking through a bunch of post-it notes - tells you it's too dry. If its not dry I would say he is okay in regards to sufficient humidity.
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:44 am

IvanDanko wrote:Hi there,

How has his shedding been so far? Does it come off in small pieces or in one or two large parts like a sock coming off a foot? If its small pieces the humidity may not be quite right and this could explain the rough feeling on the tail, could be some stuck shed.

If not an easy way to check is running your fingers both ways across the belly scales - should be smooth. Any resistance - kind of like the sound of flicking through a bunch of post-it notes - tells you it's too dry. If its not dry I would say he is okay in regards to sufficient humidity.

His tank temperature stays in the 80's, but yes his shed comes off in flaky pieces. With his belly, it's definitely rather smooth. I haven't seen any shed come off of his tail lately, but I saw quite a bit come off back when he was still in the process. I've tried bathing him but I can only get shed off the rest of his body, I haven't seen any scales come off his tail in the bath.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Sun Dec 19, 2021 4:01 pm

Maybe try tweaking the humidity a bit higher (I know its already high, not sure how practical this suggestion is) or try using a humid hide, if you haven't got one already. Was a bit slow to reply - hope it has improved since then/the shed has come off?

CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:07 pm

IvanDanko wrote:Maybe try tweaking the humidity a bit higher (I know its already high, not sure how practical this suggestion is) or try using a humid hide, if you haven't got one already. Was a bit slow to reply - hope it has improved since then/the shed has come off?

Hi thank you! Yes, his tail feels better as of lately since I cranked the humidity higher and changed his diet. He seems to be doing a lot better.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:40 am

Awesome :D Great to hear.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”