A few questions from a potential owner

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
yelir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

A few questions from a potential owner

Postby yelir » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:41 am

Hi there! For the past couple of months i’ve been researching blue tongues and I’m currently extremely interested in getting one, specifically an Indonesian. Despite my research, and many hours lurking on this site, i still have a few questions that I would appreciate some guidance on:

* First, what enclosures do y’all recommend? I’m specifically interested in a 4x2x2 enclosure, I would prefer if it was < $500 (usd) but if not I would still love to hear about it!

*Next, I am wanting to da a bio active enclosure. That’s a major reason why I’m specifically interested in an indonesian BTS, for their higher humidity requirements. I also have experience with bio active enclosures and a love for everything isopod. My question is what substrate do you folks with a bio active BTS enclosure use, and what critters do you use in terms of a CUC.

That’s all my questions for now, I’ll add to this tread if I think of any more. If any of you have any advice for me I would greatly appreciate the input! I just want to do best by my potential future skink! :D
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Re: A few questions from a potential owner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:12 am

Hi! Indonesian, eh? Good choice, hehe. So, first off, the tank is usually recommended to be 48″x24″x18″ and the substrate I personally use is mulch bedding because it keeps the humidity up high. For my boy, I keep his tank humidity up in the 80's-300°F
One thing I do recommend is to get a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature, as keeping it too low can lead to serious health issues. Especially in Indonesians. As for the bioactive enclosure, I think as long as you have that experience, things should be good.

If you have any more questions, I'm more than happy to answer! Good luck to you and your future skink!
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
yelir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby yelir » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:06 pm

CircusCandi12 wrote:Hi! Indonesian, eh? Good choice, hehe. So, first off, the tank is usually recommended to be 48″x24″x18″ and the substrate I personally use is mulch bedding because it keeps the humidity up high. For my boy, I keep his tank humidity up in the 80's-300°F
One thing I do recommend is to get a thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature, as keeping it too low can lead to serious health issues. Especially in Indonesians. As for the bioactive enclosure, I think as long as you have that experience, things should be good.

If you have any more questions, I'm more than happy to answer! Good luck to you and your future skink!

Thank you so much for your advice! Is there a typo where it says, “80's-300°F”? I’ve read it a couple times and I can’t quite figure out what you mean, so if it’s not an error could you please explain it to me? Also as far as temp. is concerned, I will of course get a thermometer but the enclosure being to cold isn’t much of an issue since I live in AZ :lol:

I made a mistake myself, I didn’t specify 4x2x2 was in feet so sorry for any confusion
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:12 pm

yelir wrote:
CircusCandi12 wrote:Hi! Indonesian, eh? Good choice, hehe. So, first off, the tank is usually recommended to be 48″x24″x18″ and the substrate I personally use is mulch bedding because it keeps the humidity up high. For my boy, I keep his tank humidity up in the 80's-300°F

Thank you so much for your advice! Is there a typo where it says, “80's-300°F”? I’ve read it a couple times and I can’t quite figure out what you mean, so if it’s not an error could you please explain it to me? Also as far as temp. is concerned, I will of course get a thermometer but the enclosure being to cold isn’t much of an issue since I live in AZ :lol:

I made a mistake myself, I didn’t specify 4x2x2 was in feet so sorry for any confusion

Ah, yeah sorry! I mean that I keep my boy's temperature usually in 80°F and 300°F! (fahrenheit)
yelir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby yelir » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:20 pm

CircusCandi12 wrote:
yelir wrote:

Ah, yeah sorry! I mean that I keep my boy's temperature usually in 80°F and 300°F! (fahrenheit)

300 degrees F? That seems extremely high even for a basking spot
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:21 pm

yelir wrote:
CircusCandi12 wrote:

It changes on its own. The heat lamp itself is 300 while his terrarium stays in the 80's to 70's
yelir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby yelir » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:40 pm

CircusCandi12 wrote:
yelir wrote:

It changes on its own. The heat lamp itself is 300 while his terrarium stays in the 80's to 70's

Ok sorry my bad :lol: I was confused I don’t have any experience with heat bulbs.
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:59 pm

yelir wrote:
CircusCandi12 wrote:It changes on its own. The heat lamp itself is 300 while his terrarium stays in the 80's to 70's

Ok sorry my bad :lol: I was confused I don’t have any experience with heat bulbs.

No problem! He has a basking spot and a cool side. Cool side is usually in the 70's while his basking spot ranges from 80 to 90! Sometimes up to 100, even. He doesn't continue basking if the heat becomes too much. If he gets tired of it, he'll crawl over and lay in his water.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”