Mites?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Mites?

Postby CircusCandi12 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:42 pm

Hi all. Tonight, I just finished cleaning Stryker's tank but when I put him back in I noticed there was a singular mite on his head. I plan to bathe him tomorrow to avoid more showing up, but what other ways can I help treat and prevent this?
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Mites?

Postby Y33T » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:34 am

What colour is it? If it’s black then it’s definitely a bad one, white and red mites are harmless but can be irritating to the skink in very large amounts. A bath won’t really get rid of them that easily because there’s potentially more hiding in the enclosure.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:01 am

Y33T wrote:What colour is it? If it’s black then it’s definitely a bad one, white and red mites are harmless but can be irritating to the skink in very large amounts. A bath won’t really get rid of them that easily because there’s potentially more hiding in the enclosure.

It's a white one but the tank was only just cleaned and we're out of bedding at the moment.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:13 am

If it's a bad one (which I'm doubtful of if its white and you've seen just one) unfortunately there is never just one. If your skink is imported and a recent purchase I'd advise a vet check anyway. Reptile mites are black and when you squish one it'll usually contain blood from its host and make a red spot. A warm damp white paper towel rub should tell you if there are more. White mites and springtails (sort of look like an elongated mite type thing) are harmless and actually beneficial. And agreed, a bath will do nothing if it's a bad one. Find out what it is first before you go crazy ripping everything apart.
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:44 am

splashy07 wrote:If it's a bad one (which I'm doubtful of if its white and you've seen just one) unfortunately there is never just one. If your skink is imported and a recent purchase I'd advise a vet check anyway. Reptile mites are black and when you squish one it'll usually contain blood from its host and make a red spot. A warm damp white paper towel rub should tell you if there are more. White mites and springtails (sort of look like an elongated mite type thing) are harmless and actually beneficial. And agreed, a bath will do nothing if it's a bad one. Find out what it is first before you go crazy ripping everything apart.

Thank you! I just finished rinsing his back and I didn't see any more thank goodness. I've had him for two weeks and he was from a licensed breeder, so I really don't know about his background beyond him being dumped by a previous family. When I saw the mite on his head I tried to get it off him but he of course wouldn't let me, since he was trying to sleep. I do plan to take him for a check-up, anyways, since he's been having respiratory issues lately.
DracoDussumieri
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby DracoDussumieri » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:17 pm

Hello,

new bts owner here (eastern bts). I just noticed super tiny white or yellowish mites in the food bowl of my skink (the food bowl was for around 3 hours in the enclosure). There were at least a dozen of these mites in the bowl. I keep my skink on wood chips, coco husk, leaflitter (not collected, its bought and fully dried), and some topsoil around some plants . I haven't seen any mites on my skink but I will check tomorrow. The skink is captive-bred and is around 4months old.

Should I be worried? How shall I respond? Exchange all the substrate? Until now I always only changed the substrate in on half of the enclosure.
yelir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby yelir » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:01 pm

DracoDussumieri wrote:Hello,

new bts owner here (eastern bts). I just noticed super tiny white or yellowish mites in the food bowl of my skink (the food bowl was for around 3 hours in the enclosure). There were at least a dozen of these mites in the bowl. I keep my skink on wood chips, coco husk, leaflitter (not collected, its bought and fully dried), and some topsoil around some plants . I haven't seen any mites on my skink but I will check tomorrow. The skink is captive-bred and is around 4months old.

Should I be worried? How shall I respond? Exchange all the substrate? Until now I always only changed the substrate in on half of the enclosure.

Disclaimer, I do not have a BTS but i do have other reptiles and for the most part white mites are often not actually mites but springtails. I and others could better asses the situation better if you would upload an image.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”