how do you make the enclosure more fun

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
SkittleTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

how do you make the enclosure more fun

Postby SkittleTheSkink » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 am

So my skink Skittle is always knocking over thing like the humidifiers and thermometers and I would like to know how to make the tank beter because right now there is 2 hideaway huts 1 water bowl 2 food bowl (for insects and wet food) and that every thing in the tank Sept some rocks to file his claws so i would like some idea for the tank because I am going to clean it soon if you ask I Will give you pictures(He's shedding night now so im completely cleaning his tank after that)thanks.
SkittleTheSkink
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: how do you make the enclosure more fun

Postby SkittleTheSkink » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:15 am

btw I meant right not night
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Postby CircusCandi12 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:52 am

Skinks can usually find entertainment out of anything, really. Depending on the location of the tank, they can get some fun out of watching TV or just watching you walk around the house. The best way to give your skink some fun is by letting them out every so often. Skinks LOVE to explore new places so if you have an unoccupied room with no escape routes, you can let him roam around in there. Empty boxes also do good for them to explore in and you can leave little treats such as berries, lettuce, bananas, etc. for them to look for. My boy is rather lazy, so I haven't had the chance to do it with him as he prefers lazing around with me, but I've heard lots of good things from other owners about it. Cat toys also work well!
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Y33T » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:15 am

Environmental enrichment:

- put hanging plants on the ground so they can forage in them
- underground tunnels, and stuff to climb like a hammock or a piece of driftwood
- deeper substrate to allow burrowing
- rearrange the enclosure layout
- add toys or other items (make sure they’re safe and doesn’t have loose parts), as soon as they lose interest add a new one.

For food related enrichment try:

- clicker/target training.
- use problem solving toys/treat dispensers marketed for dogs and cats.
- offer fruit or other favourite snacks they like that’s mashed and frozen in ice cube trays, more entertaining than just handing them normal fruit.
- hide pieces of dry cat/dog food in substrate so they can sniff them out.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”