Page 1 of 1

Respiratory infection?

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:30 am
by CircusCandi12
Hi everyone, me again. Very important question! How do I know my bluey has a respiratory infection? My 1-year-old boy, Stryker, has become wheezy in his breathing today and I've noticed he has red around his throat (which he seemed to have when I first got him from a licensed breeder, but recently it's gotten redder)

When I first got him, his tank had rainforest mulch bedding but I heard Aspen was good too, so I replaced it with that. However, since I changed it last night, he's started sneezing more, closes one eye pretty often and today he's gotten wheezy. He's still eating and seems to still be pretty alert (and grumpy) but I'm just worried about him. His tank temp stays up to 90°- 102° and I mist it every morning and every night. His diet mostly consists of strawberries, blueberries, and wet cat food. He's also currently in the shedding process (already halfway done) but I'm not sure if shedding can actually have that kind of effect?

Thanks in advance. I'm super worried about my baby!
Image

Image

Re: Respiratory infection?

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:56 pm
by Janella
Hi there and first let me start by any Indonesian species can not be on Aspen. It is way to dry for them and doesn't hold the humidity that they need. I would switch back to either Zilla Jungle Mix, EcoEarth, cypress mulch, plain top soil, etc. If you are hearing wheezing then a vet visit is in order before he gets worse. It very well could be the start of an URI.

Re: Respiratory infection?

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:23 pm
by CircusCandi12
Janella wrote:Hi there and first let me start by any Indonesian species can not be on Aspen. It is way to dry for them and doesn't hold the humidity that they need. I would switch back to either Zilla Jungle Mix, EcoEarth, cypress mulch, plain top soil, etc. If you are hearing wheezing then a vet visit is in order before he gets worse. It very well could be the start of an URI.


Thank you!

Re: Respiratory infection?

Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:31 am
by Janella
Welcome

Re: Respiratory infection?

Posted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 am
by splashy07
Totally agree. Aspen is a no-no for ALL types with the exception of desert. And truthfully, I do not even use it for those. Good for my breeder rodents. Thats about it.