Respiratory infection?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Respiratory infection?

Postby CircusCandi12 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:30 am

Hi everyone, me again. Very important question! How do I know my bluey has a respiratory infection? My 1-year-old boy, Stryker, has become wheezy in his breathing today and I've noticed he has red around his throat (which he seemed to have when I first got him from a licensed breeder, but recently it's gotten redder)

When I first got him, his tank had rainforest mulch bedding but I heard Aspen was good too, so I replaced it with that. However, since I changed it last night, he's started sneezing more, closes one eye pretty often and today he's gotten wheezy. He's still eating and seems to still be pretty alert (and grumpy) but I'm just worried about him. His tank temp stays up to 90°- 102° and I mist it every morning and every night. His diet mostly consists of strawberries, blueberries, and wet cat food. He's also currently in the shedding process (already halfway done) but I'm not sure if shedding can actually have that kind of effect?

Thanks in advance. I'm super worried about my baby!

Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Respiratory infection?

Postby Janella » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi there and first let me start by any Indonesian species can not be on Aspen. It is way to dry for them and doesn't hold the humidity that they need. I would switch back to either Zilla Jungle Mix, EcoEarth, cypress mulch, plain top soil, etc. If you are hearing wheezing then a vet visit is in order before he gets worse. It very well could be the start of an URI.
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Postby CircusCandi12 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:23 pm

Janella wrote:Hi there and first let me start by any Indonesian species can not be on Aspen. It is way to dry for them and doesn't hold the humidity that they need. I would switch back to either Zilla Jungle Mix, EcoEarth, cypress mulch, plain top soil, etc. If you are hearing wheezing then a vet visit is in order before he gets worse. It very well could be the start of an URI.

Thank you!
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:31 am

Welcome
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 am

Totally agree. Aspen is a no-no for ALL types with the exception of desert. And truthfully, I do not even use it for those. Good for my breeder rodents. Thats about it.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”