Brumation?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Blubbs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Brumation?

Postby Blubbs » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:30 pm

I have a 6-7 month northern and he's been burrowed almost 100% of the time unless I dig him out. Everywhere I have read said don't let young skinks brumate. I took his cage off the floor to try and raise substrate temperatures but it didn't seem to work. Is there anything more I should do other than just letting him decide what he wants to do and turn of the heat?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Brumation?

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:21 am

Whatever you are reading is wrong. Do not dig him up. Brumation is an important part of their life cycle and causes extreme stress and possible health issues if interrupted. Do not change anything, do not turn off lights and heat. Just let him be. Cool down is only necessary for breeding purposes. I have had many young skinks go into brumation with no coaxing and has never been a problem.
Blubbs
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Blubbs » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:55 am

splashy07 wrote:Whatever you are reading is wrong. Do not dig him up. Brumation is an important part of their life cycle and causes extreme stress and possible health issues if interrupted. Do not change anything, do not turn off lights and heat. Just let him be. Cool down is only necessary for breeding purposes. I have had many young skinks go into brumation with no coaxing and has never been a problem.

Should I also ignore the people that say to weigh them regularly to make sure they are not losing bodyweight?
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:20 am

If they choose to brumate do not disturb them.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”