Help Regarding Discolored Scale

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
tbcorbett
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help Regarding Discolored Scale

Postby tbcorbett » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:16 am

Hello!! I hope everyone has been doing well.

Everything has been going really good with my northern, up until right now!!! I had her out today and noticed a scale on her nose is different than it was before. it was certainly an overnight change, because I have her out every day and would have noticed it before.

Normally dirt builds up on her nose from all her burrowing, so I thought I could clean it right off, but it actually seems to be discoloration. It won't come off. The area is still completely smooth like a normal scale, but now it's this off color. Could this be scale rot? I'm very worried.

Since it's so dry now in the winter I've been struggling with dry belly scales, which I've been rubbing emu oil on her and also giving her warm baths twice a week as well. Her behavior is normal otherwise- very alert, loves eating, basks every day.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/s8hWaHQ

And this is a picture from 3 days before. http://imgur.com/a/fNXmAmq

Like I said, even just yesterday this discoloration was not there. She hasn't shed in a while. Maybe 3-4 weeks. Could it just be from that??

If anyone suspects it could be scale rot I'll take her to the vet immediately.

Edit: I had been planning for a wellness checkup anyway so I went ahead and made an appointment for her right away. Thankfully my vet had an opening at 2:30 today so I'll see what she says.
tbcorbett
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help Regarding Discolored Scale

Postby tbcorbett » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:35 pm

Update: I'm at the vet now. Funnily enough, even though I was trying to get that spot off with water on a towel, it wouldn't come off no matter how much I tried!!!!

But then, I put her in her portable terrarium to transport to the vet. I noticed a scale had shed onto my finger, but I actually wasn't sure if it was an old scale that happened to still be hanging out in the terrarium or not.

I get to the vet, bring her out to the assistant to point out the problem area... And the discolored spot is completely gone!!! Like it was never even there!! I felt like a crazy person. Thankfully I had the picture proof to show her I wasn't crazy!!

I'm still waiting to be seen by the actual veterinarian, so I'll edit this reply with the last update

UPDATE: The vet thought she probably hurt her scale by rubbing it on one of her cork rounds or possibly against the side of her enclosure, and that the scale had just fallen off. While I don't notice her glass surfing or rubbing her nose anywhere, I think it's very likely this was true, because the stinkin' discoloration is totally gone!!!

She had a totally clean bill of health otherwise. And she's 626 grams now!!! Big girl!!!
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Help Regarding Discolored Scale

Postby Janella » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:12 pm

That is great! Glad all went well and your skink is healthy.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”