He’s gone native…

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Slidershoomans
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

He’s gone native…

Postby Slidershoomans » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:14 am

So, shortly after we got our bluey, I got really ill and I’m fine now (thanks) but he’s gone native. He hisses at us a lot now and is unfriendly- and he was super friendly when we got him. Is there any way to make him happier? I feel like he has PTSD and is acting out. Ugh. He just didn’t get handled a lot. I am now reluctantly his mama and I feel bad for him. Should I take him to therapy? Is there a blue tongued skink whisperer in da house?
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

Re: He’s gone native…

Postby CircusCandi12 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:43 pm

My bluey used to be pretty hissy when I first got him. He wasn't handled much either, and even if he was, they would literally snatch him from above and it scared him terribly, so touching his back is a no-go now. If you try to pet him, I suggest speaking in a calm, quiet voice. Start with one finger and only try to pet him where he can see you to avoid scaring him (had to do this with mine).
Let him check you out first if possible. Skinks are very intelligent and can recognize their owners. If you place your hand in his tank, don't try to put it directly near him, just let it sit there and see if he'll come to sniff you (via tongue flicking). If he huffs/whistles/hisses, leave him alone and try again another time. If anything, start with gentle talking first and then ease into petting. My Stryker lets me rub his nose for about 2-3 seconds now and whistles if he starts to get annoyed. If you notice your bluey close his eyes when he's near you, he may either be stressed or showing a sign of submission (good luck figuring out which...)

Skinks, like any other creature, can become traumatized or upset depending on their past, hence why mine hates his back being touched. But just like with a human you should ease him into accepting you again and give him time to learn you are not a threat. Patience is key with these guys! It can take months for him to feel safe with you but don't give up! It's very possible to tame them as long as you're dedicated enough. Good luck, friend! ♡

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Skinks can become very attached to human emotions! If you're nervous or scared, he will be too. So, always try to stay calm with him. Gotta work together!
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”