Shredded fleece for substrate?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Shorty1212
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Shredded fleece for substrate?

Postby Shorty1212 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:45 am

I’m at the point where I have my enclosure setup the only thing left is substrate and of course the skink lol. Was curious if I could use shredded fleece in long strips and pile it up then if soiled I would be able to wash it and just keep a big bin so I can always add more? Also I’m brand new to this forum and can’t figure out how to respond to posts it says I don’t have access? Any help is appreciated and if anyone is aware of a breeder in Oregon let me know.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Shredded fleece for substrate?

Postby splashy07 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:56 am

I would not use any type fabric as a substrate, they can get it wrapped around their toes and constrict blood flow. The way they dig around, this isn't a safe choice. Also way too dryand quite unnatural. Coco husk, Repti bark, cypress mulch or combination thereof are better choices. If you have an Indonesian species you will need to keep up humidity.
Shorty1212
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shorty1212 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:04 am

Thank you I appreciate your response. That’s kind of what I figured. What are your thoughts on possibly having half the tank with coco husk and the other half with tile or shelf liner? There’s a hide on each side.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:56 pm

These guys are burrowing lizards and love to burrow. They need at least 4-6 inches deep of substrate their entire tank other than perhaps where they eat and drink. They also need plenty of hides to help them feel secure. What type of skink are you getting or thinking of getting?
Shorty1212
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Shorty1212 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:05 am

I’m going to get a northern and gotcha on the substrate I’m going to put down the substrate over the entire enclosure. I’ve done so much reading I think I have a good idea of general care I have a dragon also so I’m familiar with the lighting I sort of geek out on lighting and have setups from Arcadia, Reptisun, and Megaray lol. Do you have any suggestions on where to purchase a skink a reputable breeder I’m in Oregon?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”