New skink owner here!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
CircusCandi12
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Your Facebook name: Eddie Simmons

New skink owner here!

Postby CircusCandi12 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:32 pm

Hi everyone! I'm a brand new skink owner as I've never had a reptile before and have heard that skinks are great beginners. I just got my boy Stryker today! He is 1 year old and a bit skittish. I just want some advice on how to help him adjust to me. I plan to wait a few days before touching or handling him, but how can I ease him into accepting my touch? He was dumped by his previous family and has supposedly been very upset since. As of now, he has not hissed or huffed at me and seems content with me watching him. He was calm when I cleaned out his leftover treats (fruits that I didn't want rotting in the bedding) but he ducked up under his log once I made the attempt to reach at him, so I immediately pulled back and closed the door.

I'm aware he doesn't like it when you touch him from above. Should I keep my hand where he can see it to avoid startling him? Do you think I'm doing things right so far? Thank you in advance![img=0]IMG_20211110_142504_671.jpg[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud papa of Stryker the Indonesian~
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: New skink owner here!

Postby IvanDanko » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:23 am

Hi there,

Congrats on the new skink. There's no easy way to know how long it will take for your skink to acclimate to you, not knowing its previous history in detail and as they are all individual characters. However I would advise to interact with him as little as possible beyond the necessities for a week or two (food,cleaning etc.) This will allow him time to settle in. Initially, use hand feeding and treats to help build a positive association and to let him get used to you. After that, you could begin to handle him for very short stints of time and build up from there. Avoid being very loud and sudden, and talk to him in a quiet level voice. During handling you can also use a soft towel or blanket to help him feel secure.

Just a few basic tips, hope this helps!
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”