Zen Habitats Screen Top Melted Plastic

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
zarbidac
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Zen Habitats Screen Top Melted Plastic

Postby zarbidac » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:21 pm

Hi there, I’ll try to attach pictures, but I made a stupid mistake and accidentally placed my heat lamp on top of my plastic humidity shield on my zen habitats enclosure. Any idea what I should do? Can anything be done, or is the screen gone for good? The way they are constructed is also very difficult to remove the screen top, but I will still try.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zarbidac
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Zen Habitats Screen Top Melted Plastic

Postby zarbidac » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:23 pm

Just an update that I think I've resolved this, though please let me know if this is just the most awful idea you've ever seen.

I was able to cut through the screen top and remove the humidity shield from the top that way. I then places some cushions (in the form of cotton pads) and taped them to the inside to make sure he doesn't poke himself on the wires. I don't think he will escape or get through it or anything since I've never known him to be able to climb up to the ceiling in any way. I will also not be putting the lamp heat that area to ensure it doesn't catch on fire.

Again, please let me know if this is a dumb idea. Luckily he's been brumating lately so he's been sleeping through all of this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:49 am

Unlucky! Accidents happen to us all, so don't worry :)

Can't think of many issues that would come from the replacement piece; providing the tape doesn't let go. Alternatively, you could try using wire mesh (like chicken mesh) as a replacement. In theory - you could cut out a square and place it on top; and bend or weave the wires into the previous mesh.

Also - since the current mesh is plastic, any sharp edges can be melted (if you happen to have a hot-glue gun around!).
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:25 am

I bought a roll of screen to make a top for my holding tub. Screen can be easily cut and sew it into place with fine fishing line. Of course it's no longer an area that can hold a lamp. Eventually the tape will fail, and this would be a more permanent solution.
zarbidac
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby zarbidac » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:56 am

Great advice, thanks for your help both of you!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”