is this normal?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

is this normal?

Postby Y33T » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:37 am

I hope I’m not too annoying with all these posts lately. Is it normal for a skink to refuse food during antibiotic treatment? He is getting better and seems to have no RI symptoms anymore so I know it’s working. I thought it could be just the puppy food but now he won’t touch his normal dog food I’m worried he’s not getting enough nutrients to help combat the illness better.

His temps and humidity are good, his poops are healthy and normal so no constipation/Impaction and he was treated for internal parasites. He was also given a varied diet once a week and was not given the exact same things, today he was given a mix of beef dog food by farmer’s market, baby food, kale and rocket, dusted with calcium and D3, the last time he had this specific mix was about 2 years ago. I would feed him things he likes but I’m worried it’ll just make him more picky.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: is this normal?

Postby Y33T » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:29 am

Update: gave him a prawn and he took it, I also just ordered some silkworms and crickets, I know he will never refuse bugs. I guess he was just doing his usual picky phase where he’d just refuse only dog food, I normally see this behaviour during winter. I might have to find an alternative to dog food or maybe switch to raw. Any tips on what to get him? I still want to ensure he’s getting a nutritionally complete diet.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: is this normal?

Postby Janella » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:55 pm

Antibiotics can cause GI upset and make him not want to eat well (just like in us humans). So I would just offer her the things he likes and see how he does. If he refuses food for more then 2 weeks, call your vet.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”