I'd like to introduce you to my new bluetongues

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
mothmadness
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

I'd like to introduce you to my new bluetongues

Postby mothmadness » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:35 am

This is Goliath and Salazzle. I just got them today, someone was auctioning them off on our local version of eBay and no one else had even bid. I've wanted a skink for years but it's so hard to find them here so I was instantly interested. Did a bunch of research, prepared an enclosure, and drove two hours up country today to collect them with my friend (well she drove me :lol: blessed stuff)

They are a male and female, I'm 90% sure Eastern Australian. They've lived together for years so for now I'm keeping them in one large enclosure. The owner before last was very neglectful unfortunately so the female is a little stunted and has lost the ends of all her toes along with her claws. They are super social and used to handling, even though they've just met me they've shown no distress or aggression being moved and inspected, and I sat for quite a while with them with no issues. Apparently they have never bred so I don't expect them to start now, but I hope they stay friendly with each other. I'm going to arrange a vet checkup soon to make sure they are all happy and healthy!

I'll post some pictures of them as soon as I figure out how to...
I'm only 20 so the forum format is a bit much to wrap my head around
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: I'd like to introduce you to my new bluetongues

Postby rixusaku » Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:33 pm

I would definitely try and move them into separate enclosures to live in. Males can be quite aggressive, even to females, and once mating season comes around you will have to fully understand what you're getting into with breeding. It's usually recommended to only let a male and female cohab if you're trying to mate them, then remove the male once mating is over. It's also not recommended to cohab reptiles unless you're very familiar with them, their behaviors, habits, and personalities.

As for adding imgs to your posts, you need to open the Attachments tab just below the post section. Click the blue "Add files" button and then make sure that the img has the green checkmark icon to the right under "Status." If that green checkmark isn't there then your img is too large and you need to make it smaller; there is a file size limit.

I would love to see the two skinks! And congrats on your new friends! ^^

Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
mothmadness
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby mothmadness » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:31 am

Thanks! They've been together for years without mating and supposedly without fighting, but I'm not really comfortable taking the risk of distressing them. Their enclosure can slide in half and be turned into two so I think I'm going to do that for them. At the very least the male will stop sitting on top of the female when she's trying to bask.

The first image is the male, the second is the female, and the third is the female's severe toe problems :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:31 pm

Beautiful skinks!!! I would definitely agree to the last post.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”