What breed of blue tongue is this?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Interesting Lizards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

What breed of blue tongue is this?

Postby Interesting Lizards » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:01 pm

Hi all,
We recently acquired a Blue Tongue off realities as they couldn't keep him anymore. I am new to this forum in search of answers to my questions.
I'm wondering what breed of Blue Tongue this is? I'm pretty sure he's a Northern, but not sure. His name is Wacky (I am a assuming Wacky's a he due to our information off relatives, but haven't been able to check properly yet, as he's mostly been hiding in his tunnel only coming out in the early mornings). As you can see in the picture the substrate of the reptile tank is shredded paper going to change that to this: https://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/pisce ... lt-p-29572[/url]. Is that okay? His diet mainly consists of formulated lizard food, the occasional mealworm and fresh vegetables. Thanks in advance. :)

Posting this again as my other thread didn't answer my questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: What breed of blue tongue is this?

Postby IvanDanko » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:41 am

Hi there,

That definitely looks like a Northern to me but you can still see the eastern lineage with the faint remnants of the eye band. Someone may be able to clue you in on a specific locality.

As for the substrate, based off the website I am assuming you're also Australian like me? Do not buy substrate from the pet shop. Often its been sitting there for a long time and from my experience they carry a heap of dust and dirt and other nasties. Order a 50L bag of eucalyptus mulch from Bunnings and use that, its such a good quality substrate and can handle being dry or wet plus has anti- mould/ bacterial properties. It's also very cost effective (from memory 10 dollars a bag?) Only thing is you may need to dry it out a little (leave the bag in the sun for a day or so)
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:09 am

Eastern
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:10 am

And I'd add a good quality dog food to his diet.
Interesting Lizards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Interesting Lizards » Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:00 pm

Yes, I'm in Australia. Thanks for your advice on the substrate, will do. I have a dog, so we feed good quality dog food. I can give him some of that. Found out that he really is a he as he have been leaving semen 'droppings' around his enclosure.
Interesting Lizards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Interesting Lizards » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:17 pm

Also isn't Eucalyptus mulch very oily?
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:15 pm

No not at all, if you cut the bag open and air it 24 hours before putting it in it just has a really nice mild smell to it. Perfectly safe to use :thumbs:

Interesting Lizards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Interesting Lizards » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Thank you!
yelir
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby yelir » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:55 am

IvanDanko wrote:Hi there,

That definitely looks like a Northern to me but you can still see the eastern lineage with the faint remnants of the eye band. Someone may be able to clue you in on a specific locality.

As for the substrate, based off the website I am assuming you're also Australian like me? Do not buy substrate from the pet shop. Often its been sitting there for a long time and from my experience they carry a heap of dust and dirt and other nasties. Order a 50L bag of eucalyptus mulch from Bunnings and use that, its such a good quality substrate and can handle being dry or wet plus has anti- mould/ bacterial properties. It's also very cost effective (from memory 10 dollars a bag?) Only thing is you may need to dry it out a little (leave the bag in the sun for a day or so)

I’m by no means an expert, but can’t eucalyptus be quite harmful? I’ll attach a link to a post on this forum about it, but I would chose cypress mulch over eucalyptus mulch especially since they are at such a similar price point and cypress mulch is just as common as eucalyptus mulch if not more.
viewtopic.php?t=24056
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:06 pm

As posted above I can tell you it is 100% safe to use. I did a large amount of research into it before I settled on it as my substrate of choice. Many breeders and keepers use it here with great success.

Overseas Cypress Mulch I imagine would be alot more common but the poster was also from Australia - it is not that common here. Read the previous posts on this thread on how to air the mulch and dry it out to ensure it just has a mild smell before use.

Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:53 pm

Nice Eastern!!!

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”