Orange coloring near the eyes isn't a sign of respiratory infection, is it?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Orange coloring near the eyes isn't a sign of respiratory infection, is it?

Postby rixusaku » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:41 am

For some background, I moved Noodle into a Kages enclosure I believe at the end of last month from him glass enclosure. I was fighting with high humidity in the beginning but managed to get it to the 40-50% range (he's a northern). He used to get pretty bad humidity in his glass enclosure which was one of the reasons why I moved him. He used to be getting a 20-30% range.

I understand that fluctuating humidity can give them an infection so I wanted to know if the orange coloration near the front of his eye was normal or a sign of infection. I started noticing it around early July i think and it's on both eyes. I'm hoping it's just new scale coloration. He turned 3 this year.

He's behaving normally otherwise. No sounds when he's breathing, no mucus or bubbles, and he still wants to come out of the enclosure to explore every day. He doesn't seem moody or irritable either but he does seem to want to sleep and hide under the substrate more than bask like he usually does. He does bask every day still, just not as long as he usually does. I think that might have something to do with the new heating I have being better though so he doesn't need to bask all the time to get warm.

20210824_102126_resize_48.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Orange coloring near the eyes isn't a sign of respiratory infection, is it?

Postby rixusaku » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:52 am

Here's another image with his eyes closed

20210824_102038_resize_13.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:14 pm

In the absence of other symptoms could just be a bit of scale discolouration? It doesn't seem crusty or as if the eyes are weeping like you would expect with mucus. His eyes look very clean and clear. I have seen a similar thing on Peanut's nose scales I believe from alot of burrowing. I guess just monitor as always and watch for any other changes in behaviour.
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:15 am

Thank you! He hasn't really shown signs of being sick since he started having it and it's been about a month at least. I just wanted to check and be sure before I go and make the 45 minute drive to his vet haha... Because I'd rather not do that to him unless I had to
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:06 am

No, it is not. Northerns rarely get RIs as they are more adaptable to environment changes.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:01 am

Oh, thank you! That's good to know :D

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”