Uk breeding season

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Uk breeding season

Postby Suzle87 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:41 am

Ventress is going insane, usually fine on his own in his viv. Likes to be left alone… suddenly he wants out constantly, total change in him, climbing out onto us the second we open the viv? When is uk breeding season cuz all i can think is hes looking for a lady, he is definitely male (sperm plugs since 5months old) im gonna have to buy him a blow up lady or something at this rate, hes mental!!!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Uk breeding season

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:43 am

It's common mayhem during that time. I had a male eastern knock out his glass door during breeding season. Thank God it did not break, miracle as it had a four foot drop.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:46 am

splashy07 wrote:It's common mayhem during that time. I had a male eastern knock out his glass door during breeding season. Thank God it did not break, miracle as it had a four foot drop.

Is it uk breeding season for indos do you know? My other half just text me saying Ventress was really pressing on the glass… just got to pray it holds up til his new viv is made!!
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:10 am

I'm not sure about season on the other side of the pond but it sure sounds like that type of activity.
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:59 am

If anyone does know when uk ij breeding season is please let me know… honestly ive never seen him this bad!!
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:16 am

Got home from work to him sat like this :doh: he just wants a lady!!
71E933D7-65DF-4481-BE80-7ABD33DFE2F1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Postby Janella » Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:58 pm

I don't know if it is breeding season over there or not, but it sure sounds like he wants a lady friend.
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby rixusaku » Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:39 pm

According to Lizards101, this is what they say about the breeding seasons around the world:

"When blue tongue skink breeding season starts will depend on where you live – in Northern Hemisphere (USA, Canada, Europe etc.) it is around March-April. In Southern Hemisphere (Australia, most of South America and southern countries in Africa) – it’s around September-November."
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:49 am

rixusaku wrote:According to Lizards101, this is what they say about the breeding seasons around the world:

"When blue tongue skink breeding season starts will depend on where you live – in Northern Hemisphere (USA, Canada, Europe etc.) it is around March-April. In Southern Hemisphere (Australia, most of South America and southern countries in Africa) – it’s around September-November."

No idea whats up with him then! He was born in December (3 years ago) so i was presuming his season would be around now but perhaps not
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:21 am

There are exceptions in captivity. I've heard of many going into season way off schedule. Nothing is in stone when it comes to reptiles.
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:22 am

Can confirm - it's breeding season in our zones xD last year it was a little later in the year (mid September). I suspect Ventress will be normal again close to his next shed cycle. Don't worry if he doesn't want to eat much; as our guy has just gained his appetite again after around 5 weeks!
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast
Suzle87
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast

Postby Suzle87 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:43 pm

kayla990 wrote:Can confirm - it's breeding season in our zones xD last year it was a little later in the year (mid September). I suspect Ventress will be normal again close to his next shed cycle. Don't worry if he doesn't want to eat much; as our guy has just gained his appetite again after around 5 weeks!

How do they know when it is?! How does it change? The mind boggles!! Thanks so much for confirming, hoping it is short lived, as lovely as it is seeing him all hyper its hardwork when he is this demanding constantly! Hope your guy is all good now X
kayla990
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby kayla990 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:30 pm

Suzle87 wrote:How do they know when it is?! How does it change?

That's a fun question to think on! For most creatures it seems to be influenced by weather and how much light there is during the day.. but actually can't find much about reptiles - since we keep their tanks in the same conditions throughout the year... then it really is boggling. Especially surreal with the Halmahera's, as I bet whenever looking up live conditions on the islands - it's always around 28-30C, between 70-100% humidity throughout the year with no noticeable seasons.. Wonder if there is a study yet, as didn't find one xD

Suzle87 wrote:Hope your guy is all good now X

Haha yep - happily all back to normal now for us! It can be concerning when they don't eat, as I'm always worried about his calcium/vitamin levels during that time. And agree, it's both adorable and tricky when they are demanding more attention.. especially when wanting out during meetings! Good luck for the following weeks with Ventress, I'm sure it'll go fine :D
- Hons. Degree Animal Management -4 years volunteer in a Zoo -10 years volunteer in animal shelters -Enclosure enthusiast

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”