Page 1 of 1
Fire Hazards
Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:34 am
by linkj154
I bought an 80 watt arcadia deep heat projector but am a bit hesitant to use it because I worry it might start a fire. Does anybody know weather or not deep heat projectors are a fire hazard? Also Pro Products radiant heat panels are marketed as posing no fire risk. Do you guys know if there is any truth to this?
Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:52 am
by Herpin Man
Anything electrical could theoretically be a fire hazard. Heat producing devices should be inspected periodically for damage or other potential issues, same as any other electrical item in your house. Care should be taken not to overload circuits and power strips.
If you are concerned about the units shorting, use a GFI. If you are worried about them overheating, use a good quality thermostat (you should be doing this regardless). If you are worried about them igniting the cage, don’t put them too close to flammable materials.
Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:06 am
by rixusaku
I have a 50W Arcadia DHP and I used my temp gun to take the temperature of the bulb. The hottest point can easily get to 200° F. I have it inside my PVC enclosure with a protection cage around it. The cage itself can be touched comfortably anywhere. It's not too hot. I also have some fake silk plants and fake plastic plants next to it and there doesn't look like there's any damage to them at all. No discoloration to them nor melting or singe marks.
Granted, I've only had it on for 8 hours (yesterday) so far but there also doesn't seem to be any burning smells today either. Any heat bulb is going to be a risk of fire if handled improperly but you shouldn't have any problems with them when handled properly/with caution.
20210806_095926_resize_17.jpg
20210806_095909_resize_1.jpg
20210806_095859_resize_49.jpg
20210806_100014_resize_22.jpg
20210806_100024_resize_14.jpg
20210806_100047_resize_44.jpg
Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 pm
by linkj154
Thanks for the responses. I will be getting a new blue tongue skink Wednesday and while I am excited about that, I have been a bit nervous about fire hazards. I will feel better once my 6x2x2 PVC cage and pro products radiant heat panel comes. In the meantime I will be keeping it in a 40 gallon glass enclosure with a dome lamp on top. Do you guys think a basking bulb, floodlight, or deep heat projector would be safest, or are they all about the same as far as fire safety goes?
Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:05 pm
by linkj154
One other question about the deep heat projector. Can they be mounted in a thrive 5.5 ceramic dome lamp fixture?
Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 pm
by rixusaku
Considering the fixtures recommended for the Arcadia Deep Heat Projector bulbs are their own ceramic fixtures, and the Thrive 5.5 Ceramic Dome fixture is also a ceramic bracket...theoretically yes? I can't say for certain since I'm not entirely knowledgeable with heat lights, wiring, bulb fixtures, and all that. I personally like buying within product's manufacturer/company and the recommended items to pair with them in the item description since they'll work best with each other.
There is one thing to keep in mind with the Thrive 5.5 Ceramic Dome fixture though, and that is you should never use it in enclosures where your lighting is inside the enclosure. You have to use it with top mesh screen enclosures with the light being housed outside the enclosure. This is to prevent fire hazards and serious burns and injuries to your animals. However, if you want the lighting inside the enclosure, you can use either of the two fixtures recommended by Arcadia with their DHP bulb as they've been tested to be safe in that situation. This is either the Arcadia Ceramic Lamp Holder Bracket Pro or the Arcadia Ceramic Reflector Clamp Lamp (either in graphite or aluminum). Either of these fixtures can be used inside the enclosure. The Clamp Lamp comes with a protection cage to prevent serious burns and harm to your animals while the Bracket Pro needs a protection cage to be purchased alongside it. Arcadia also has a Heat Lamp Cage that they manufacture to go along with the Bracket Pro.
I'm using the Arcadia Ceramic Lamp Holder Bracket Pro with my DHP along with the Arcadia Heat Lamp Cage. These are in the images I provided above.
Arcadia Fixtures (additional information/product description page):Ceramic Lamp Holder Bracket ProHeat Lamp CageCeramic Reflector Clamp LampEdit: Another thing to note, if you want to go with either of the Arcadia fixtures instead of the Thrive one, only the Ceramic Reflector Clamp Lamp can be used either inside or outside the enclosure. The Ceramic Lamp Holder Bracket Pro will need to have some special setup built in order to use it outside, so I wouldn't recommend that one in that case if you want to go outside the enclosure.
Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:00 pm
by linkj154
Thank you, you have been very helpful. I used the dhp with the thrive dome and it seemed ok. The temperatures and humidity were perfect, and there were no obvious signs of a fire hazard. But to be on the safe side I will order a fixture from Arcadia that can be placed on top of a screen. I will have my bts in a glass screen top enclosure temporarily until my pvc cage and rhp come, which will take about a month and a half. Thanks again
Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:08 pm
by linkj154
I just ordered the clamp lamp.

Re: Fire Hazards
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:59 pm
by rixusaku
Awesome! Good luck with your new bluey friend, and don't be shy to come back if you have more questions! This community is very helpful to new owners! :)