Month old northern so small

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Big_Boxx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Month old northern so small

Postby Big_Boxx » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:03 am

Hi everyone. First time posting. Wanted to ask a question if you all don’t mind.

I got a month and a half old northern blue tongue skink this week and he seems to be veeery small. 18 grams just before I got him. He didn’t look like a runt in the pictures the breeder provided when the litter was born. Maybe a touch smaller than his brothers and sisters. but he’s definitely super tiny now.

I want him to get some mass. He definitely isn’t malnourished, he’s got an appetite, and he’s regular. But he’s only interested in eating every other day. And even then he doesn’t really eat all that much of the cat food I offer. Far less than a teaspoon. Is there anything I can do to help him catch up to his siblings? And if he’s just a slow grower/eater, will he still reach a decent size when he gets older?

Thanks for the help :)
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Month old northern so small

Postby IvanDanko » Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi there,

18 grams is incredibly small for a 1.5 month old skink. My BTS was 126g at the same age. If you could post a picture that would give us a good idea also to confirm its species - but on face value that is very concerning unless errors have been made in measuring its weight and id suggest the skink may be ill or carrying parasites.
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut

"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:07 am

Try feeding him insects. Gut load them first, of course. That is incredibly tiny, as the smallest of my litter was born at 19g.
Big_Boxx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Big_Boxx » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:08 am

He was last weighed by the breeder June 28th at 18 grams (born may 18th). So really almost 2 months old now. I got him July 8th.

I ran out and bought a scale. As of today, July 16th, after a week with me he is weighing in at 38 grams.

I held him for the first time today (he wasn’t a fan) and I got some pics. I don’t have the biggest hands in the world so I placed quarter next to him for comparison. To be honest, he seems a little bigger than a week ago.

Only time I got him to eat more than every other day was when I mixed in some egg yolk with his cat food. Idk if that really made the difference or not but I’ll try it again today.

Do you think I should make an appointment with a vet? Get his poop checked out? Or is he just a teeny tiny little guy? Other than his size he seems great. Showed my finger whose boss when I was taking him out.

Appreciate the help. If I’m just worrying for no reason, like I tend to do, feel free to tell me to chill out :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:14 am

I don't understand him not being interested in food daily, as mine were born on 5/25 and still eating twice a day. I mix hard boiled egg diced finely into their food. They can't get enough of it. And bugs...dubias and superworms (I breed all my own) size appropriate.
Big_Boxx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Big_Boxx » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:27 am

splashy07 wrote:I don't understand him not being interested in food daily, as mine were born on 5/25 and still eating twice a day. I mix hard boiled egg diced finely into their food. They can't get enough of it. And bugs...dubias and superworms (I breed all my own) size appropriate.

Me neither! I’ve tried different kinds of canned food. Gonna run out and get some small dubias. And I’ll definitely try the hard boiled egg this morning.

Here’s a pic of the whole litter with mom. I drew a little arrow pointing at him.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN

Postby splashy07 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:37 am

I'm sure he will come around. Certainly does not look unhealthy. My female had a litter of 20, and my smallest is now almost the size of my largest holdback. Some just need a little more time to get going.
Big_Boxx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Big_Boxx » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:15 am

splashy07 wrote:I'm sure he will come around. Certainly does not look unhealthy. My female had a litter of 20, and my smallest is now almost the size of my largest holdback. Some just need a little more time to get going.

He loved the hard boiled egg! Soon as I put it in there he hustled over and started chomping it down. Usually when I put food in it takes him a little while before making his way over to the bowl. Yay!

Thanks again. I’ll be getting some dubias & superworms today and trying that after they’re good and gut-loaded.
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:08 pm

He looks much healthier than I imagined, just a very small baby :) Mine also took a while to take to food, soft boiled egg was the first thing he ate. I'm sure you'll have some more success with live feeders as that usually gets them going too.

Big_Boxx
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby Big_Boxx » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:37 pm

IvanDanko wrote:He looks much healthier than I imagined, just a very small baby :) Mine also took a while to take to food, soft boiled egg was the first thing he ate. I'm sure you'll have some more success with live feeders as that usually gets them going too.

Since I’ve posted this his eating has increased tremendously. Hard boiled eggs, night crawlers and especially dubia roaches seem to be his favorite foods ever. Varying up the diet from just cat food has gotten him to eating twice a day. Think I may just have a picky little bugger :lol:
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Postby IvanDanko » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:30 am

Big_Boxx wrote:
IvanDanko wrote:He looks much healthier than I imagined, just a very small baby :) Mine also took a while to take to food, soft boiled egg was the first thing he ate. I'm sure you'll have some more success with live feeders as that usually gets them going too.

Since I’ve posted this his eating has increased tremendously. Hard boiled eggs, night crawlers and especially dubia roaches seem to be his favorite foods ever. Varying up the diet from just cat food has gotten him to eating twice a day. Think I may just have a picky little bugger :lol:

Awesome, sounds like he's probably starting to relax a bit more too. A few bits of dog kibble softened by boiling water is a great alternative formulated food option (it becomes much bigger after it soaks up the water) once he hits 8 months (mine went off tinned wet and loaf dog food...yep he's picky) Diced papaya is a great treat food you can also throw in. Also if you can get your hands on a reputable omnivore mix formulated for BTS (can be expensive but most have indefinite shelf life as a powder) its a great option for a complete nutrient rich meal in a pinch.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”