Why won't my skink come out?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
WinnieBTS
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Why won't my skink come out?

Postby WinnieBTS » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:41 pm

Hello!

I got my Halmahera last September and I really thought he would have warmed up to me by now. I figured based on being a Halmahera and the fact he most likely is wild caught (ugh, so sad), he would be a little more shy/aggressive. He NEVER comes out. He's super good when I handle him, never bites, and he eats well and comes out to poop. Vet told me he is healthy and well take care of, he lives in a good sized tank, eats well, is well humidified, etc. I noticed maybe 4 or 5 months ago he would come out intermittently to bask for like...15 minutes MAX. I don't mind that he stays hidden most of the time, but I want to make sure I am not doing anything wrong? When he's eating and he's popping his head out, he usually will let me be near him and not go and hide.

Full disclosure, I do have 2 cats and a dog and my lizard is in a high traffic area in my house. Is he scared of the noises and the other animals? Would be prefer peace and quiet? The BTS I have seen at pet stores (yes, sad, I know) was out and about every time I went and visited. Is my guy just a little shy? I love him either way. I just didn't know if anyone else experiences this.

Any feedback would be great :)

Thanks!
bartholemew
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Why won't my skink come out?

Postby bartholemew » Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Wow, this was posted a while ago I wonder why no one replied. anyway, I hope this helps you still though. maybe try moving him/her (sorry I already forgot) somewhere with less movement. Dogs and Cast are predators for Bts's and Bts are born with practically a built-in threat radar (their tongue) when they lick the air they are tasting for predators maybe when he/she does this he can taste your other animals and gets scared. Another possibility is it's just his/her personality or that he's/she's burmating but for the length of time you've describes I highly doubt that.
Sorry if you already knew all this stuff. I hope this helped.
Janella
ADMIN
ADMIN
Your Facebook name: Janella Poch

Re: Why won't my skink come out?

Postby Janella » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:24 pm

I do apologize that no one responded sooner. Not sure how this got missed. Any better now? Did you try to move the enclosure to a low traffic area?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”