Help! BTS Is Suddenly Eating Her Substate

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Jazzkidd6
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Help! BTS Is Suddenly Eating Her Substate

Postby Jazzkidd6 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:37 am

Help!

Papi, my 1.5 year old Indonesian BTS recently started eating her Forest Floor cypress substrate for some reason about three weeks ago. Her droppings are now filled to the max with it. She never has eaten her substate in the past, and I'm worried over time it'll cause internal lacerations and tear-up her intestines, as it's rough and has pointy edges. It's also giving her a bit of constipation, as you can imagine.

We moved a month ago, so I thought she may be acting out in strange ways due to the stress of the move. I also slightly decreased her meals from to 5x a week down to 3x, as she's now an adult and was becoming a tad overweight.

Poor Papi! I'm hoping you guys have may some input. Maybe I should change her substrate for a while? Go back to tiny snacks on her off-meal days to keep her stomach full?

Please advise. Thanks!

Best,
Leah
mb606587
ADMIN
ADMIN

Re: Help! BTS Is Suddenly Eating Her Substate

Postby mb606587 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:19 pm

Try changing to a top soil or Eco Earth substrate and see if that makes a difference
Jazzkidd6
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner

Re: Help! BTS Is Suddenly Eating Her Substate

Postby Jazzkidd6 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:04 am

Thanks for the input. I just ordered three 3-packs of the Eco Earth coconut substrate. Hopefully this will help! I'm really worried about Papi. Her constipation is growing worse, and I'm afraid she'll eventually push out her intestines, as well as have her digestive tract injured by the sharp Forest Floor wood.

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”